We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Sydney or rent a car and drive along coast?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Topic
Stay in Sydney or rent a car and drive along coast?

My husband and I arriving in Sydney from US pre-cruise for 2 1/2 days. After talking to some people we just met, they tell us that traveling to the Blue Mts takes about 2 1/2 hrs each way from Sydney and if taking in the hikes...etc. that it is really a full day. We live in the mts. of California and they say that it is not so different and wouldn't be that spectacular to us. They suggested renting a car and driving towards Wollongong, seeing the new bridge and possibly visiting the Sumbio Nature Park, and then doing the ferries to Manly, Bondi and other sight within the city. Since I have never been to Australia and this will probably be my only trip, I am totally confused and just need help in planning this trip. Our time is limited and I would like to squeeze it all in, but I have to be realistic. Any help or suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,560 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Stay in Sydney or rent a car and drive along coast?

Can I reiterate the concerns about jetlag and driving on the opposite side. Yes, Sydney itself has lots to offer and is much more manageable under the circumstances.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Stay in Sydney or rent a car and drive along coast?

Another vote for staying in Sydney with the limited time you have. Plenty of places to explore. As an example the Bondi to Coogee coastal walk takes a good half day. Have a look at the FAQ's on "must sees" on the right hand side of this page. Also the official Sydney tourism site http://www.sydney.com/

13. Re: Stay in Sydney or rent a car and drive along coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 13, 2014