We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slightly revised itinerary...help please!

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Slightly revised itinerary...help please!

5 weeks in Australia starting mid-November to mid-December.

Fly into Brisbane ....spend a week in the area...but this is where we are having problems. Should we do Noosa, Byron Bay, Fraser Island, anywhere else? What combo of theses should we do?We are headed to Port Douglas 5 days(?) after, so I am gathering we have to do the flight from Brisbane.

Port Douglas to Adelaide and the wine regions 4 days(?)

Melbourne, and great ocean road, 7 days(?)

End in Sydney, 5 days(?)and then back to Canada.

Anything we should add.....we do have 5 weeks, so we have some days to play with.

Thanks

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slightly revised itinerary...help please!

From Melb, a flight to Tasmania. Could fly direct to Sydney (if next on your plan order). Nov/Dec excellent time to visit pre summer holiday crowds. Lots of nature, and more beaches. Compact state, easy to drive around. Different landscape around nearly every corner. Consider fly in/out of different city (Hobart, Launceston) depending if not enough days for complete island circuit.

2. Re: Slightly revised itinerary...help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:11 pm, February 11, 2015
sydney
Level Contributor
134 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slightly revised itinerary...help please!

You could fly into Adelaide and drive up to the vineyards then continue onto the Great Ocean Road. It's a lovely drive through from Adelaide and there are plenty of spots to visit along the way. Give yourself 5 days for the Great Road and I highly recommend a helicopter flight over the Twelve Apostles - the BEST way to see them ever. Return to Melbourne for a few days ( fantastic cafes and shopping) or drive direct to either airport (Jetstar do cheaper flights from Avalon) direct and fly to Sydney. Try and include the Blue Mountains while in Sydney as well as all the usual spots. You could take a drive south one day through Royal National Park (great for bushwalks and no bears) down along the ocean road as far as Kiama. Or drive through the Blue Mountains to Jenolan Caves, stay overnight and visit a couple of fantastic limestone caves. The options are endless.

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slightly revised itinerary...help please!

What spots for overnights would be recommended on the Great Ocean Road? We have thought of Tasmania....for Brisbane area we will have a vehicle, but don't want to spend all out time driving. Thoughts on order of stops and how many we could do at a comfortable pace?

Thanks

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slightly revised itinerary...help please!

Please, I wish you'd stick to one thread and not post questions in wrong forums, it's confusing for us and you're not helping yourself to get the most help. I can't remember what's been said before and I'm not sure what/why you have revised, I don't want to waste time making suggestions that put you back where you started only for you to remember oh no, you had already decided against that. A general question about Tasmania and Brisbane doesn't need to be in the Sydney forum. I'm sorry, but this is not helping yourselves as well as we'd like :-(

Anyway, the GOR has an official website which could help you plan. visitvictoria.com/Regions/Great-Ocean-Road.a… If driving yourselves at least one overnight stop is recommended. The return trip can be done via the quicker inland route through Colac. Possible stops are Lorne, Apollo Bay, Port Campbell and Warrnambool. If stopping for two nights then first is Lorne or Apollo Bay, second is Port Campbell or Warrnambool. If only one then I think you'd probably want to be further along than Lorne, depending on just where along the road you want to stop and see things? One very scenic stretch is between Lorne and Apollo Bay and then the famous cliffs and stacks are around Port Campbell. But there are other things too, forest walks, waterfalls, lighthouses, etc.

Edited: 8:22 pm, February 23, 2013
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Slightly revised itinerary...help please!

agree macknee...i have given up on this one.

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Slightly revised itinerary...help please!

Sorry if we have confused. Thought since we are doing about 7 different areas that it was easier to ask this way, as opposed to more specific questions in 7 different forums. We will try that way though to avoid confusion.

Thanks for the continued help

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slightly revised itinerary...help please!

But this IS a specific forum. Brisbane, Great Ocean Road, etc are not in Sydney.

(Edit: There is a GENERAL Australia forum, I'm sure you posted there before too.)

And why start a NEW thread saying you have revised your itinerary? You can post revisions on one thread and people can easily look back and see what you have changed and why and can see what other people have already suggested.

Edited: 9:44 pm, February 23, 2013
australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Slightly revised itinerary...help please!

One thread for all seven areas works (perhaps Aust forum is best, though many of us read all, so anywhere you havd started is fine). Once you start splitting someone misses one thread where you stated some requirement or dislike, and then proceed to unknowingly give you irrelevant info in other threads. If you have question specific to a area, eg best accommodation sure a new post to get that answer in the appropriate city/town forum.

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Slightly revised itinerary...help please!

Thanks Dev......I think we just have specific questions now so we will post those in the geographically correct forum. We will definitely have some coming