We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So confused about all the bus/train ticket options

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
So confused about all the bus/train ticket options

I've read the FAQ and clicked on the links for the transit passes but am still so confused!

We are staying at the Westin in April for 5 nights before venturing to other parts of Australia for the rest of our vacation. We intend to take a cab to/from the airport.

During the 5 days, we want to do the typical tourist sites. Manly Beach, Bondi Beach, Opera House, Bridge climb, The Rocks, ferry ride around the harbor and the Blue Mountains (day trip only though).

Which pass should we buy to cover us.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,795 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So confused about all the bus/train ticket options

Really where you are the best option would be a mymulti1 day pass for the day you intend to do Manly and the same for the Blue Mountains . (Total $44)

The Blue Mountains would need a mymulti3 pass if you got a weekly and at $61 you may be hard pushed to use $20 worth of travel. If you think you may then go with a Mymulti3

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So confused about all the bus/train ticket options

If you're of reasonable fitness you probably don't need a pass. From the Westin it's about 15 mins walk to Circular Quay/Rocks/Harbour Bridge & you could just buy individual ferry tickets/bus tickets. Generally the ticket sellers are helpful in sorting out which ticket is the best for you depending on your plans for that day, so I wouldn't stress too much about it :)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,771 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So confused about all the bus/train ticket options

For convenience, I would suggest the ExplorerLink ticket for your day in the Blue Mountains. This will cover your train fare and a day pass for the HOHO bus in the Mountains. The MyMulti ticket at $22 is a cheaper option but you are restricted to the public bus service once you get to the Mountains and it can be infrequent.

The other days, to get to the places you mentioned, I'd go along with Mias suggestion of just buying point to point tickets. Apart from Manly and Bondi Beach you will be able to walk or take the free 555 bus everywhere.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So confused about all the bus/train ticket options

I thought there were weekly passes that would be cheaper on a per-day basis. Not true?

We are reasonably fit so walking is fine - assuming we can figure out which way to go! Hopefully, we'll get a good map. I've been studying the maps in a few guide books I got. We do intend to do a few long hikes in PD and Uluru too.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,795 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So confused about all the bus/train ticket options

The weekly passes are cheaper it's more whether you will actually need to use them.

The city is quite compact.

Public transport is reasonably priced, the exception being ferries and the light rail (hence me suggesting the multi day for the Manly trip, eg a return trip is approx $15. Then you can use the ferry later in the day to go to Darling Harbour (you go under the bridge). light rail out to fish markets and then back up to central etc.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So confused about all the bus/train ticket options

The weekly used to be cheaper for me living in Sydney but for your longer trips you would need the more expensive one, then it would not be utilised much on your inner city days.

if you thought you would use inner city transport enough maybe price the cheaper weekly and buy a point to point from the 'where its valid to' station to Blue Mts. Note if buying a return rail ticket, you get a considerable discount on cost of two one ways, BUT not until after 9am weekdays. You would want

to start earlier for just a one day mountain trip. Bus and ferry, no return tickets/discounts apply. Many bus route require prepaid tickets.

Edited: 6:25 pm, February 14, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So confused about all the bus/train ticket options

You will be able to get maps from your hotel.Most locals will be only too happy to help if they see you standing there holding a map & looking confused!

The City of Sydney website has some good general info …nsw.gov.au/learn/…tourist-information and brochures of walking maps …nsw.gov.au/explore/…historical-walking-tours

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So confused about all the bus/train ticket options

I'm good at the "looking confused" part :-)

Thanks for the advise. Once I have plotted out strategy for each day, I'll check again if we need to get bother getting a pass for every day. Sounds like we can just walk to a lot of the areas we want to see.

The ExplorerLink pass sounds like a really good one for the Blue Mtns. I'll check that out too.

I appreciate you all taking the time to respond to all of my queries. Looking forward to my 1st visit to Australia!!

9. Re: So confused about all the bus/train ticket options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 16, 2014