We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping Sydney vs Perth

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping Sydney vs Perth

Hi all, I'm booked up to visit Sydney late march this year and was planning on spending one of the days there shopping. I live in Perth, where the shopping is pretty dismal and was wondering is it any better in Sydney? It will be mainly woman's clothing I'll be looking for.

I had in mind Pitt street, queen vic building, Oxford street or double bay (maybe out of my price range!) I'd read about Westfield centers dotted around too but don't want to waste a day shopping if it's similar to what I can get in Perth.

Anyone have experience of both? Also I know Melbourne has a few uk shops now, like topshop etc, what about Sydney?

Sydney
Level Contributor
132 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Shopping Sydney vs Perth

Also Queen St Woollahra has some nice shops and different labels - Reads, and Ruby & Min are both reasonably priced and more upmarket choices are Riada and Attic. You could also try William St Paddington and the Intersection area which is the corner of Glenmore Rd and Oxford St. Woollahra and the Intersection are both about 10 - 15 minutes walk (in different directions) from the Paddington markets. PaddIngton and Woollahra are an easy bus trip from the city (380 or 333) with great coffee and meal locations.

For cheaper, funkier options try King St Newtown. I'm not crazy about Westfield but Gap and Zara are worth a look if you don't have them in Perth.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,789 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Shopping Sydney vs Perth

yeah, for women the prices an quality of gap and zara are um..

same with top shop...

however blokes and top shop..bargain.. love the womens chair in the fitting room..

I am yet to find a bargain at DJs Birkenhead...in 5 visits they have had exactly the same shoes and clothes over a 2 year period FCUK had a few things tho

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Shopping Sydney vs Perth

Thanks for all the ideas, lots of suggestions I just don't think my husband's patience would stretch to all of them! Thanks again.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Shopping Sydney vs Perth

Is there late night shopping in either Oxford street or Westfield Pitt St (is this aka westfield CBD?) on Friday night? If I could go late night shopping it would free up some day time for sight seeing. In Perth late night shopping is Thursday in suberbs and Friday in cbd so not sure which one Sydney would be.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,748 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Shopping Sydney vs Perth

Late night shopping in Sydney is Thursday night. Some smaller shops set their own opening times, but generally stores are open till 9pm.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Shopping Sydney vs Perth

Late night shopping is Thursday night here as well, although Westfield is open until 6.30 on Friday nights. Not sure about Oxford st - probably varies from store to store.

westfield.com.au/sydney/…shopping-hours

Edited: 2:40 am, February 05, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,789 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Shopping Sydney vs Perth

and many don;t open unit 10 or 11 am

18. Re: Shopping Sydney vs Perth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 07, 2014