We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way flight - Sydney back to UK (LHR or MAN)

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
One way flight - Sydney back to UK (LHR or MAN)

Daughter is due back from her working visa/holiday in March. Looking to book, obviously, a one way flight from Sydney to either London (LHR or GAT) or Manchester.

Anyone suggest the most economic (less Air China).

Also she will have excess baggage (up to 30Kg) - any suggestions on cheapest way to return that to UK too.

Many thanks in eager anticipation - wife and I fly out in less than 3 weeks but our luggage allce is minimal and have a 4 night stop in Singapore.

Thanks vm

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One way flight - Sydney back to UK (LHR or MAN)

look at www.skyscanner.com it should come up with the best prices. Just do a fake run on your dates & see what the prices are. I think Emirates & possible Eti Had allow up to 30 kgs or so I was told unofficially.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One way flight - Sydney back to UK (LHR or MAN)

As mentioned above use skyscanner to find the cheapest fare but book online with the airline to avoid extra booking fees.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One way flight - Sydney back to UK (LHR or MAN)

Thanks for your help Stella099 and Ellemay..

Had overlooked Skyscanner. :-)

Emirates do indeed have 30kgs - still need another 30kgs or so...

Edited: 9:37 am, January 28, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One way flight - Sydney back to UK (LHR or MAN)

Don't we all !!

Happy travels.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,698 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One way flight - Sydney back to UK (LHR or MAN)

Just a thought - if you and your wife can bring as little as possible, why not take back much of your daughter''s excess with you? Every little bit with you will save money on excess...

Edited: 4:07 pm, January 29, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One way flight - Sydney back to UK (LHR or MAN)

Skyscanner doesnt always returm the best results as it only shows direct flight with one singluar airline or an affiliated airline with a connecting flight.

Sometimes you can get a cheaper flight by booking seperate flights with seperate airlines.

When I returned to the UK last October booked a Scoot sale fare (Singapore Airlines new budget airline) Sydney to Singapore. Then flew Singapore Airlines direct to Heathrow, which was the cheapest airline at the time..... The total of flights cost of fights was $1340 AU (return) which is the cheapest I have ever gotten them. Scoot offer unlimited baggage and Singapore

Skyscanner never gave me this combination so dont completely rely on what skyscanner

Also, bare in mind booking flights from Aus using $AU is more expensive than booking them in the UK using the pound.

I just had a quick look. You can get a Scoot fare to Singapore for $199 and then a Malaysian Air flight to the UK for $515.

$715 not including taxes is fare cheaper than what Skyscanner is showing!

It pays to search other avenues :)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One way flight - Sydney back to UK (LHR or MAN)

good advice from Leanne.

but remember when doing this sort of thing allow considerable time for connections. and we are not talking just a few hours.

and sometimes this requires an overnighter which reduces the price difference compared to taking regular flights.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One way flight - Sydney back to UK (LHR or MAN)

Another possibility along the lines of Leanne's suggestion which probably won't come up on Skyscanner, is Air Asia or Jetstar to KL and then possibly Malaysian Air from KL to the UK.

Definitely allow plenty of time for transfer if going don the 2 separate tickets route - in fact if it's Jetstar I'd plan on an overnight in Malaysia as 7 and 8 hour delays are not uncommon.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One way flight - Sydney back to UK (LHR or MAN)

I always have a 1-2 night stopover as who likes to fly for 24hrs, NO ONE! It also helps with adjusting to the time difference and jetlag. But that's just my preference :)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One way flight - Sydney back to UK (LHR or MAN)

"who likes to fly for 24hrs, NO ONE!"

not true.

i do.....get there as fast as possible is always my plan.