We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2014 flights and general flight query

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
2014 flights and general flight query

Hi everyone, I was hoping someone could help as this will be my first time flying to Australia and the first time on a flight that requires a stop over.

There will be 2 adults and 2 children(5 &2) and we are wanting to go very late january/early feb preferebly around the 18th January for no less than 2 weeks... i have tried to look at flights, UK - London to Sydney, but cant find any so was just wondering when each airline starts releasing january fares (maybe there is a website you can sign up to that lets you know when they are available?) and for the more experienced Australia traveller when the best time to book them is.

Also where is best to stop over, or just any stopping over information.

I would greatly appreciate an information

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2014 flights and general flight query

Hi Elektra.

Do you have to come in Jan / Feb ? The reason I ask is because it's often at it's hottest around that time of the year and can be uncomfortable and not the best time to visit Far North Queensland either.

Our school holidays finish at the end of January so you could be flying in peak time and therefore potentially paying more.

If you're not sure where to stop, have a look at the FAQs to the right of the screen and particularly the trip reports ... and go up a couple of levels to the Australia forum and read the trip reports there. A good guide book would be very helpful to you to help narrow down what YOU would like to do, see, stay etc.

Finally, airfares are generally released around 11 months out from the date of flight so if you want a return ticket, you won't be able to book until your flight home is loaded.

Edited: 2:47 pm, January 16, 2013
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2014 flights and general flight query

most airlines flying here have stop over deals for their home hubs.

eg. thai and bangkok, cathay and hong kong.

there are two schools of thought. get the flight over and done with in one go (even with kids) or stop somewhere on the way. i am with the former but if u want to do a stopover, then make sure it's an effective one ie. 2-3 days. one day is, imo, a waste of time.

www.kayak.com is a good site to explore your flight options. it is not a booking site but refers u to either airlines or 3rd party bookers. i would keep away from the latter.

Oxford
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2014 flights and general flight query

Generally it's 330 days based on your return journey. However Singapore airlines seem to do 355 days. I booked 2 days ago using opodo with a return flight back on the 4th January 2014. Personally I've always found booking as soon as they're available is the cheapest option. Just 2 days later and the flights we booked are already almost £200 more. Each! (Although we are going at the most expensive time of the year and with the Ashes on)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2014 flights and general flight query

Pure speculation on my part, but the Qantas/Emirates Alliance starts in April this year and it would not surprise me if they came out with some special deals to promote the new route between SYD and LHR via Dubai.

Might be worth signing up to either Emirates' or Qantas' email mailing list.

5. Re: 2014 flights and general flight query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 18, 2014