We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport to Taronga Zoo

Toronto
Level Contributor
60 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Transport to Taronga Zoo

We will be visiting Sydney in February and Taronga Zoo is on our itinarary. We will be leaving from Circular Quay and wonder if we should book a day that includes transportation. And... if so, which company? Have perused the zoo site and it recommends buying tickets ahead of time which we will do. Recommendations much appreciated.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport to Taronga Zoo

I can't see any need to book tickets ahead. The ferry goes to Circular Quay to Taronga Zoo, and doesn't sell single tickets in advance of the day of travel.

http://sydneyferries.info

Sydney
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport to Taronga Zoo

Yep just get the ferry across , buy tickets on the day ..... super easy

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport to Taronga Zoo

Check the Zoos website for opening times and get on the ferry half an hour or so before opening time.

Catch the (free) bus to the top and buy your tickets in the plaza area. You can rent a locker up there if you want to stash a back pack or picnic (don't forget you'd have to walk back up to get it if you don't queue for the Gondola ride). Or have a coffee in the cafe prior to entering the Zoo proper, and peruse the gift shop for Aussie gifts etc.

There are clean areas in the Plaza area too.

I'd recommend you go to the Gondola ride first so you can get a ride easily - tell them you want to stay on for the return journey and at least you'll get an aerial view of the Zoo and the Harbour before the crowds arrive. NOTE : You may not have to wait until opening time to do this but check with one of the operators ...

When you arrive back at the Plaza area, simply walk down a few stairs and enter the Zoo.

Make sure you get a map of the Zoo either at the desk where you pay or a Zoo Volunteer so that you can get the times of the shows if you want to see them.

It's a great day out IMO and worth the cost of the ticket.

Edited: 12:14 am, January 14, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport to Taronga Zoo

No need to book ahead as others have said.

Buy a Zoo Pass ($51.50) at Circular Quay rather than a return ferry ticket ($11.60) and an entry ticket into the Zoo ($44).

The Zoo Pass includes a ride on the cable car or the bus to the top entrance.

There's always a long queue around opening time for the cable car so if you don't like standing in line, you may wish to arrive a bit later or consider taking the bus that meets the ferry to the top entrance.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport to Taronga Zoo

JMLH

If you opt for my suggestion at post 3, you will avoid the queue for the Gondola at the at the base of the Zoo with people wanting to ride up to the top to start their day at the Zoo in the Plaza area, and you will also avoid the queue for the Gondola later during the day both at the Plaza area and the base.

IMO the best time to do the Gondola ride is first thing from the Plaza as no-one else is doing it then from the Plaza area and the only others wanting to ride are on are queued up at the base ... trust me ... this is the way to go and especially in February when it is generally hotter during the day and into the afternoon !

Tucson
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport to Taronga Zoo

I am a little confused and want to make sure I understand the Zoo Pass for $51.50. Does it include the ferry ride to the zoo, the zoo entrance ticket, and the return ferry ride to Circular Quay?

Then it sounds like once we arrive at the zoo, we should take the gondola ride' round trip, to enjoy the views and get a feel for the zoo layout.

Sounds like a fun day!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport to Taronga Zoo

"I am a little confused and want to make sure I understand the Zoo Pass for $51.50. Does it include the ferry ride to the zoo, the zoo entrance ticket, and the return ferry ride to Circular Quay?"

Yes it does - this is from the transport info site "A Zoo Pass combines admission to Taronga Zoo with a return ferry ticket to Circular Quay. The pass also includes the bus ride up to the zoo's main entrance or a ride on the Sky Safari cable car" www.131500.com.au/tickets/explore/zoopass

"Then it sounds like once we arrive at the zoo, we should take the gondola ride' round trip, to enjoy the views and get a feel for the zoo layout. "

Yes, that is my recommendation and what we've done and it worked well for us.

If you are not planning on leaving anything in the lockers, once you enter the Zoo from the plaza area, keep making your way downhill and along the paths "across" the Zoo seeing the exhibits or stopping for food, drinks, shows etc until you reach the exit then walk across to the ferry.

And BTW, apart from the Gondola at the base of the Zoo near the ferry, you can ener the Zoo from the entrance to the right of the ferry when you alight ... it's a little way up the hill ... however you have to walk uphill all the way hence my recommendation for getting the free bus to the top and relax in the Zoo Plaza area and grab the gondola ride for a round trip when the Zoo opens ... does that make sense to you ?

Edited: 4:48 pm, January 14, 2013
Toronto
Level Contributor
60 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport to Taronga Zoo

Thanks to all for your suggestions. We will buy a zoo/transport pass at Circular Quay on the day of travel. Really looking forward to this adventure!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport to Taronga Zoo

DougoOz, I've not used the Zoo pass. Does it include BOTH the Cable Car AND the bus? The T&Cs say:

>>The pass also includes the bus ride up to the zoo's main entrance or a ride on the Sky Safari cable car<<

which seems to indicate its either/or - in other words, just one free trip to the top.

Tucson
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport to Taronga Zoo

DougoOz,

Once the ferry arrives at the zoo area, we should find a way to get to the plaza area...either walking up the hill or taking the free bus to the top. Then we can ride the gondola round trip, enjoy that part of the day, and after head down to the zoo and the animals.

Did I get that right?

Thanks so much!

Dana