We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campervan Rental - Travellers Auto Barn

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bath, United Kingdom
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Campervan Rental - Travellers Auto Barn

My boyfriend and I are planning on coming to Australia in Feb and we are keen on renting out a campervan for a month I have looked into quite a few companies, but I am keen to hear other peoples opinions of which company is best?

I have read a few reviews on Travellers Auto Barn and they seemed quite varied, but the most positive, does anyone have any experiences with them or know whether or not they are a trustworthy company?

Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
41. Re: Campervan Rental - Travellers Auto Barn

@Gisela K

The reason we went to fair trading on the matter with you was that their was a dispute about the damage to the vehicle. It is not a course of action we take lightly. Yes, I think it's clear to all that Travellers Autobarn rents older cars, and as such, cars may have existing dents but this does not mean that we do not care. And all existing damage is carefully documented by both our staff and the renter before departing. The settlement negotiated with fair trading was a commercial decision designed to put the matter behind us, it was not a judgement as to right or wrong, and the fact that fair trading supported our evidence that there was some liability on your part is evidence that there are two sides to every story. Sorry for speaking so plainly, but I feel it is important to speak plainly when accused of fraudulent behaviour.

Peter Burke

Managing Director

Travellers Autobarn

PS I also note you have duplicate posted this 2 months after the 1st in a separate thread.

Berlin, Germany
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Campervan Rental - Travellers Auto Barn

To Peter Burke

It is interesting that you (Travellers Autobarn) now respond as I am publishing this case. As you didn't bother to answer my mail. Only when the Consumer Dept. contacted you, you immediately admitted that I was charged too much.

All I wrote are just facts and I can proof everything (1540,97 A$ you charged based on the Estimate of Road River Smash for ALL damages, the wheel arch fixed with 1 screw (foto), the scratch, the condition of the car - acc. to outgoing condition report and fotos, the refund, the correspondence with the Consumer Dept.

Instead of accusing me for publishing what you did to me I would appreciate if you would take responsibility for your behaviour.

This is an ADVICE TO ALL READERS: If you feel overcharged or cheated: the Consumer Department in Australia is very helpful and will look into your case. You can also put in your complaint online.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Campervan Rental - Travellers Auto Barn

Dear Peter

I hope you receive this message.

We are currently renting one of your vehicles and I have never been so stunned and sadly, disgusted by the standard of a vehicle nor the attitude of a customer service team.

We picked up the vehicle on Saturday in Melbourne. It was absolutely filthy and I spent all of Saturday and most of yesterday scrubbing it clean. Not the best start to my holiday as you can imagine. I cleaned everything from caked on egg on a spatula to filthy toenail clippings and hairs from shelves and cupboards. All of the equipment was disgusting and after bleaching the cups and beakers we were given they are slightly better but still unusable and disgusting. We were given a sleeping bag each instead of a duvet and frankly I wouldn't put a wet dog in them, they're also dirty. I've washed all of the linen and towels etc which are now usable at least. The pillows provided are pointless as any form of head rest though and we have resorted to buying our own.

There is one dinner plate (also filthy) so in assuming we should take it in turns to eat!

One of the pans provided is literally fully of rust and I've managed to scrub away most if the ingrained food from the frying pan but am do disgusted I've ended up buying my own as I couldn't bear to cook with it.

The can itself is horrendous and struggles to get up even the slightest incline in anything but 3rd gear clearly slowing our journey gown significantly. The window wash does not work even if full of water and the air com is also defunct. The windows don't close if you open them so god forbid it rain during your journey. You have to pull over and nearly trap your fingers trying to close them.

The curtain behind the driver will not stay wrapped up shut so yet another danger is added to journies.

Trying to see out of the obscured back window is also impossible so that's one other danger to consider whilst seeing Australia.

Further, the windscreen has no less then five stickers on cracks, one of which is cracking significantly outside of the sticker and they obscure the view.

The water hose we were given did not fit any fittings to top the water up as it was missing a part.

We have also had the privilege of receiving a van with a tape deck that cannot pick up radio stations. Surely the sensible thing would be to therefore provide your customers with a selection of tapes to choose from but clearly not.

All in all a shocking van and when I called your staff to speak about it yesterday, I first waited for 40 mins on hold to customer service before giving up and calling sales (who funnily enough answered promptly) and was put through by them. I'm not sure this was a good thing bto say the man who dealt with me was abrupt and had a bad attitude was an understatement. He basically behaved as though I was wrong for raising ANY issue because, no doubt, it's a budget van. His advice was

1.return it dirty and we won't charge you $100! Wow! How about refund my two days cleaning and calling you up discuss your inferior vehicle which I can never get back from my holiday???!

2. Go but the missing items. Of course, you've not had enough of my holiday already, now I should show to replace items you didn't bother to provide. Nice touch.

3. The windscreen is being replaced when we drop it off because you didn't have time before we collected it. Marvellous. Good for the poor people who follow us. One less thing to worry about. (Oh that and the fact it will be clean and equipped by me).

All in all I'm horrified by the service and product provided my your company.

I hope you receive this and bother to respond.

If its public - run for the hills rather than use this company.

Regards

Sarah Wood

Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
44. Re: Campervan Rental - Travellers Auto Barn

Good Morning Sarah,

On reading about your issues this morning I have asked quite a few hard questions of the staff, as it's clear the vehicle has not been prepared with due car and thoroughness.

We employ contract cleaners in Melbourne, with whom we have discussed this vehicle, and have also provided feedback to the new recruit who prepped the vehicle. All that said, it should have been quality controlled better.

We will attempt to contact you this morning with the goal of trying to get your holiday back on track. You many also choose to contact me direct, my email is pb@.... or call the aftersales number you called yesterday and ask for my email address.

One option is to offer a 100% refund as it's so early in your trip and to allow you to search for another supplier that can offer a product that better suits your expectations.

A few things I need to clarify, we do not rent vehicles with Duvets, and the vehicle is advertised with a radio/cassette. We did start converting all vehicles to CD players a long time ago and then everyone started arriving with iPods and MP3 players which can be played through the radio.

Have also spoken with our aftersales team and specifically the team member that took your call. We record all issues in a spreadhseet, with typical details such as date, vehicle, RA#, etc nature of problem, and outcomes. It is reported that the proposed solutions offered on the phone were reached in a cordial manner and that the call was ended on a friendly note. If that is not the case then please let me know.

I am very sorry that our vehicle was delivered in such a state, I am sorry that the product has not lived up to your expectations and I am also very sorry that rather that, after only one conversation, you chose this method to let us know of your disappointment as if you'd have communicated the same message to myself directly the answer and outcomes would have been exactly the same.

Sincerely,

Peter Burke

Managing Director

Travellers Autobarn

Edited: 6:24 pm, December 03, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Campervan Rental - Travellers Auto Barn

Dear Peter

Thank you so much for coming back to me do promptly and for putting us in touch with Liam to assist us.

I cannot thank or praise Liam enough for the service he showed us and professional and friendly approach to dealing with the issues we faced.

We are now in a much better vehicle and are happily on our way to a better holiday. Everything we needed was dealt with and Liam ensured we were well equipped to get on the road and enjoy the rest if our trip.

To all those I told to run for the hills - run back, if you use TA any issues will be properly addressed. Now THAT is customer service.

Kind regards

Sarah Wood

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,936 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Campervan Rental - Travellers Auto Barn

It must be the Christmas season!!

Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
47. Re: Campervan Rental - Travellers Auto Barn

Thank You Sarah,

Please let me know how the rest of your trip proceeds. Hope the weather is on your side and remember you can contact Liam or myself direct if you have any further issues.

Cheers

PB

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
48. Re: Campervan Rental - Travellers Auto Barn

My partner and I recently took a trip down to the Mornington Peninsula in the Travellers Auto Barn NEW Chubby Camper... the staff at pick-up and drop-off were excellent and informative. The camper itself was awesome, it had a brand new feel, included everything we needed, it had a really well lit super kitchen which didn't take up any living/sleeping space and it drove like a dream. Overall we were really impressed with the service and would strongly recommend it!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,936 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Campervan Rental - Travellers Auto Barn

Danielle, thanks for joining TripAdvisor today and finding this thread to tell us about your experience.

Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
50. Re: Campervan Rental - Travellers Auto Barn

Hi Danielle,

Thank you so much for your kind words and review. In the interests of transparency for the readers of TA, I should point out to everyone that Danielle is a valued Travel Agent and travelled with Travellers Autobarn free of charge. Her opinions remain valuable to us, as under no circumstances would be expect Danielle to recommend a product that failed to meet her and her customers standards and expectations,