We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydneysiders..Does your Local Pub/Hotel have Rooms?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
5,527 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Sydneysiders..Does your Local Pub/Hotel have Rooms?

A funny thing happened to me yesterday folks..was visiting a friend of mines' local watering hole to wish in the New Year and for some reason the subject of rooms in this particular hotel came onto the bar talk discussion.Normally for me on a Saturday afternoon if it's not about whose going to win the next at Warwick Farm I switch off the small talk but on this occassion my ears stood up when room rates were mentioned.Now before anybody goes off at self promotion and spamming(usually me)this particular hotel is based in the hub of the eastern suburbs on a major transport bus route close to 4 beaches and charges the outrageous sum of $82.20 per night.....for a room for four!(one king ..two singles)The catch?...no airconditioning but I was that taken aback that I personally had to have a look at one of the double rooms,yes basic but with own seperate bathroom and tv..all the same price!Bare in mind the prices quoted over Xmas and New Year in some hotels in town and this place never charged any different!...Now the point I am making is how many other pub/hotels around Sydney town have rooms like this? The name of the place I will reveal tomorrow and no I donot have any personal vested interest in this establishment only to assist and offer free advice to fellow travellers doing it tough or on a shoestring visitoring this beautiful city!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,458 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydneysiders..Does your Local Pub/Hotel have Rooms?

A couple of local watering holes have rooms ... one is more motel style ... no idea about the cost but tourists are not likely to want to stay in my neck of the woods in any case.

Australia
Level Contributor
309 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydneysiders..Does your Local Pub/Hotel have Rooms?

Every pub that calls itself a hotel is required to have rooms available. I think its one of the old liscensing requirements.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,048 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydneysiders..Does your Local Pub/Hotel have Rooms?

I do believe there's quite a lot of pub hotels in the city have rooms. I could have sworn the Edinburgh Castle was one that did... thought I walked past the sign on it spruiking the accommodation.. but there's nothing about it on their website... maybe I was dreaming....

I don't think the local pubs near me have rooms.. all too recently built...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydneysiders..Does your Local Pub/Hotel have Rooms?

Snodge I think as Matt says they must have rooms. Whether they are available to the public or not.

3 locals here. All with rooms, none have them listed on their websites.

When i was a kid the Pub was effectively a BNB. Lots of todays BNBs are old pubs. When we travelled with my parents if we were overnighting we often stayed at the Pub in a country town.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,049 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydneysiders..Does your Local Pub/Hotel have Rooms?

We stayed at the Glasgow arms in Ultimo a few years ago. It was a pub with rooms avaialable. The rooms were $99 per night. Apparently it seems to have changed owners, been upgraded and price risen to around $150 per night. It is across the road from the Powerhouse museum. Great deal for the price I reckon.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydneysiders..Does your Local Pub/Hotel have Rooms?

who'd want to stay in a pub these days with the extended licencing laws not to mention the weekend hard rock band entertainment.

in our area the pub rooms are usually taken up by permanents.

they must all be deaf.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydneysiders..Does your Local Pub/Hotel have Rooms?

LOL Lien,

one of the pubs near me closes at 10 on a Saturday Night, Bottle shop is closed before 9! (We were doing a late BYO in the Thai restaurant around the corner) Streets surrounding were dead. Right across the road from the train line (yeah rail noise perhaps).

And yes, lots seem to be permanent or semi permanent residents.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5,527 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydneysiders..Does your Local Pub/Hotel have Rooms?

Well firstly not all pubs adhere to the extended licencing laws and live bands now lien in pubs are as rare as hens teeth...Why I asked this question was to guage just how much we as locals know about the availibility/quality and price for places in the hotel where we may frequent or live near.It is well known in tourism that Sydney does at certain times of the year struggle to accomodate its visitors from both interstate and overseas due to a shortage of rooms and of course the price associated with them..How many times in the last month or so have people asked on here for cheap rooms for example?..I for one wasn't able to give them an answer but now I can at least steer them into some basic secure accomodation at what we would describe as a steal due to its location...This particular hotel has seven rooms and I was gobsmacked when informed that it is seldom booked out..The hotel?

Charing Cross Hotel ..corner of Bronte Rd/Carrington Rd Waverley..bus stop across the road with access to Bronte,Clovelly and Coogee beaches plus at the door to Bondi Junction interchange!

http://www.laundy.com.au/charing/accom.html

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
754 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydneysiders..Does your Local Pub/Hotel have Rooms?

A while back I was looking for accommodation for my father in law and none of the local pubs in the Summer Hill/Dulwich Hill area would admit to having rooms.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydneysiders..Does your Local Pub/Hotel have Rooms?

Jed,

we often walk past this hotel at charing cross .... will have to look carefully the next time we go past.

in the city, the Hotel Coronation (near Woolies Town Hall) and the Criterion offer rooms....but at a higher price than the CC that you've mentioned.

thanks for making us put our thinking caps on!