We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Eats Dining - avail in Surry Hills

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap Eats Dining - avail in Surry Hills

Hi All,

I have collected a series of hints for cheap eats for our trip to Sydney. Can anyone please confirm if Surry Hills is too far away to travel for food? Our hotel is located in the CBD, near Chinatown.

I know Chinese food is a great cheap eat but we would like some other options but most of the cheap eats I have looked at are in Surry Hills

smh.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bar…

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Eats Dining - avail in Surry Hills

not too far away.

u could probably find a bus route.

google maps and http://www.sydneybuses.info/ in this case would be your friend

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Eats Dining - avail in Surry Hills

Surry Hills essentially starts immediately to the east of Central Station, and Chinatown pretty much reaches as far as the immediate west of Central Station. I'd suggest most of the cheap eats you are finding in Surry Hills are probably on the western edge near central.

However, as lien says, a quick google maps search will tell you exactly how far they are to walk, and with a single click, tell you which bus to catch if you think it is too far.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Eats Dining - avail in Surry Hills

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. Do you think we could walk to Surry Hills for our dinners?

Edited: 12:42 am, January 02, 2013
Sydney
Level Contributor
22 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Eats Dining - avail in Surry Hills

Hey peterwellington1234, just to set the expectation...cheap eats in Sydney city area is pretty much exclusively Asian food which most of it will be around Chinatown and cleveland street in surry hills. The non Asian places on the cheap eats list are more like snacking when you drink. eg El Loco has cheap tacos but you'll probably need about 5+ of them to be full.

I live in Sydney CBD and I find surry hills/darlinghurst one of the most expensive places to eat and drink (it's like the trendy end of town) but its fun and they have some really cool places! Enjoy it but don't be expecting $20 meals...

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Eats Dining - avail in Surry Hills

Shakespeare hotel in Surry Hills does good meals for $12. Few other pubs around central aren't too much more. A few pizza and italian food places that side of central too.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,521 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Eats Dining - avail in Surry Hills

I have to disagree with piggy. There are plenty of cheap eats in Sydney for under $20 - just look at the pubs and clubs.

As a visitor, you can get temporary membership to any RSL, Leagues, Bowls or Surf Life Saving Club and every one of them will do you a meat + 3 veg meal for under $20. All of the pubs in the Newtown/Camperdown area near Sydney University, do great food at really cheap prices - some around the $10 per meal price.

Stay away from the Rocks area and you will find hat pretty much any pub in town will have a daily special under $20.

Sydney
Level Contributor
22 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Eats Dining - avail in Surry Hills

Well peterwellington was asking about surry hills specifically but yes Sydney Uni way definitely has cheap pub food...since a lot of the surry hill pubs become 'classier' they've become pretty expensive.

agree with inas66 there's cheap pub options around central station.

Central station is about 10min walk from Chinatown. Crown street is consider the heart of surry hills and that's an extra 10min from central. Surry hills covers a fairly large area so best to check it out on a map first. Restaurants are scattered all over the suburb.

You can get a bus but they leave from central station anyway, so once you've walked to bus stop you are half way there already.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Eats Dining - avail in Surry Hills

Thanks for all the valuable feedback. I'm looking forward to the food!

9. Re: Cheap Eats Dining - avail in Surry Hills

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, January 06, 2014