We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

boulder colorado
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Money

What is the best way to get Australian dollars on arrival? Should we get some in US, or wait until we arrive, and if the latter, should we get some at the airport or somewhere else? (We are staying in Manly.)

Tel
Great Yarmouth U.K
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

We stayed in Manly and used ATMs all of our stay. I don't know if it works the same in Colorado but the exchange rate was much better by doing this against the UK pound than using travellers cheques or by exchanging money before we left the UK. You will find machines in quite a few locations in Manly and Sydney. The exchange rate at the airport is very low so if I was you I would just bring a minimum amount of Australian Dollars with you just to see you through the first day.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

The currency exchange bureaux in Sydney Airport are now a monopoly.... Trevelex runs them all. This means that your exchange rate at the airport will be less-favourable than outside, in the "real" world, where there are banks. However, there are ample ATMs all over the airport, so if you are geared to use these, this might be the way to go.

Wherever you go in Sydney or Manly, you won't be far from an ATM, so you won't have any problem changing money; if, however, you do need to change with a real change bureau, remember that the many Bureaux de Change which are now all over Sydney (and are open outside of banking hours) often have a different (and, I think, less-favourable) exchange rate from the banks. Some will advertise "no transaction fees", but if you are changing large amounts of money, the difference in the exchange rates might wipe out any saving on transaction fees anyway. All banks set their own rates.... from the Aussie end, I find the Commonwealth Bank is generally the best (itsa transaction fee is $AUD8), and American Express about the worst, but you ought to shop around.... maybe it's different when changing the "other way".

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,201 posts
1,441 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

There are heaps of ATM machines in Manly....you can find them in the pubs and in The Corso there are three banks with ATM machines....you will not have a problem.....maybe just take out even money at the airport for you taxi or shuttle bus ride.