We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport train to City hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airport train to City hotel.

Hi,

this is my first trip to Sydney. Help needed to take train to City Hotel from international airport. Is it advisable to get to city by train or taxi airport?Is the train system the best to move around the city. I got 5 nights in Sydney and would be glad if i know how i should spent my time in Sydney. I only need to sight seeing the city areas.

Thank you.

ddavid1972.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport train to City hotel.

internation terminal to city by train around $15pp.

taxi between $40 and $50.

around the city by bus, train or ferry.

depending on how much u want to travel u might consider a my multi 1 weekly.

http://www.131500.com.au/tickets/fares

'things to do" rhs this page, other sydney info rhs page.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport train to City hotel.

If you plan to spend most of your time in the city/darling harbor/Chinatown/rocks/circular quay/opera house area, then you can get around quite easily either on foot or using the 555 free bus.

It will probably be cheaper for you to buy single point to point tickets if you just want to do the occasional trip to Bondi Beach, Manly or suchlike.

If you are traveling alone I would recommend taking the train from the International terminal to the city. For two or more persons, I'd suggest a taxi is easier with not much difference in cost.

Mentioned in this post
Bondi Beach
Bondi Beach
5,635 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport train to City hotel.

Eva gives very good advice.

Manly & Bondi are both great beach areas.

Mentioned in this post
Bondi
Bondi
Greater Sydney, Australia
Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport train to City hotel.

If travelling from the airport to a hotel in the city, and you are unfamiliar with Sydney, or want door to door transport, I find it easier to ue the airport shuttle buses, which will drop you at your accommodation for about the same price as the train.

I now Sydney well, but usually prefer to travel in to the city by shuttle, and back to the airport on the train. (As that doesn't need to be booked for the return journey, while the bus does.)

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport train to City hotel.

Hi Eva,

My wife and i will be travelling together and just as what you said i intend to see city/darling harbor/Chinatown/rocks/circular quay/opera house area.Since this is my first trip could you also recommend me a convenient areas that i can book a hotel to stay so that i can use the free bus and reach all these areas of interest. As i got 5 days in Sydney, could you advice where i can go for these 5 days so that i won't miss those interesting places in sydney.

Thank you.

ddavid.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport train to City hotel.

Hi,

Could you advice if i book Meriton Serviced Apartments - at Campbell Street

is good choice in term of convienient to move around all these places.

thanks

ddavid1972

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport train to City hotel.

Ozziegiraffe, it would be great if you could post the name of a reliable shuttle service that you have used regularly.

Most of the Sydney shuttle services get a really bad rap on TA which is why the train service is so often recommended. It would be good to know of a good shuttle service.

ddavid, Meriton apartments in Campbell St are in an excellent location - close to Chinatown, Darling Harbour and very near public transport.

Edited: 8:31 pm, December 26, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,274 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport train to City hotel.

Hi ,

I have 5 days to move around Sydney and would be glad if you could give me some advice of places to see in Sydney by train or buses. I like to see places of interested and good shopping areas where i can buy. As i will be staying at Meriton apartments in Campbell St , could advise what is the nearest train station from airport that i can get off or by shuttle buses from airport. Moreover, i am suppose to land at the dometic airport from Quanta and don't know whether they will ferry us ti international airport.

Appreciate some good advice.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport train to City hotel.

Hi there,

Is Seasons Darling Harbour appt better location than Meriton apartments in Campbell St. I have been offered by M-Power Accommodation to book there.

Just looking for good appt with good location to stay during my holiday in Sydney.

Look forward to some comments.

thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
18,932 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport train to City hotel.

As long as it is Sydney city, you just walk.

Don't bother with taxi. The traffic is so bad, you will only be stuck in traffic.

Train can get you from airport to city in 13 minutes, for $15 or so. Taxi? Double the time, triple the fare.

To see if your hotel is going to be close to train station, go to http://www.whereis.com/

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney