We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from airport to cruise terminal

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Train from airport to cruise terminal

We will arrive at the international airport coming from Auckland.

1) How far is it to the train at the domestic airport? Are there any signs?

2) We are 73 and 66 years old. Is it possible to buy a ticket for elderly people? We have residency in New Zealand..

My email: h.niclaus@gmail.com

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,771 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from airport to cruise terminal

There is a train station in the international terminal.Just follow the signs to 'trains'. Unfortunately, although there are reciprocal agreements between Australia and NZ regarding Seniors discounts, these do not extend to travel on public transport.

If you are going to the Overseas Passenger Terminal, then getting the train to Circular Quay from the airport is easy enough as the station is right by the terminal. If your cruise leaves from Bangaroo you are probably better off catching a cab from the airport as its a fair hike from the nearest station (Wynyard) to the wharf if you have any mobility issues and are bringing luggage.

The train is about $16 pp. A cab will cost about $50 depending on traffic.

Edited: 2:38 am, December 24, 2012
Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from airport to cruise terminal

1 don't post your email address on open forums, it can lead to abuse/spam etc

2 there are 2 of you, take a taxi. it will be less hassle and only marginally more expensive.

3 there is a train station at the international terminal, but this advice is moot, given 2.

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from airport to cruise terminal

I am a little confused about where you are going. You arrive at the International terminal, which has a train station - no need to go to the domestic terminal, unless you have a flight from there.

But (and I am only a few years younger than you) I would also recommend taking a taxi, rather than trying to use trains with enough luggage for a cruise.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,795 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from airport to cruise terminal

Not sure when you are coming but I am going to second the taxi suggestion, especially if you are leaving on a cruise from Barangaroo. Taxi may be as much at $65 depending on the route the driver takes and time of day. It may also be extremely crowded on the train at 7-9am as this is a regular commuter train and has very little luggage space if any.

Circular Quay station is a bit of a mess at the moment, and with luggage it will not be an easy walk (it is flat but if it's a bust period then it may be very awkward with luggage).

If going to Barangaroo there is a downhill walk from either Wynyard or Town Hall. I prefer Town Hall as you can use the rear exits from the station and ramps then drop down to water level via the lift at Cockle Bay. it is further to walk though.

If you wanted to cut the taxi fare you could Train to Central then taxi to the Quay/Barangaroo. Use the Elizabeth St Chalmers St exit. It is quite close to the platform exit, use the front of the train as this is near the lifts.

You wont save a lot (taxi is about $12-$15 from there to either spot)

cityrail.info/stations/maps/Central-StationM…

5. Re: Train from airport to cruise terminal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 28, 2013