We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting international (LAN) to domestic (Virgin)

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting international (LAN) to domestic (Virgin)

Hi,

I'm connecting from an international flight (LAN) that arrives at 18:35, to a domestic one (Virgin) that leaves at 20:10 to Gold Coast. I'd prefer a later flight, but this seems to be the last one of the day.

Would it be possible to connect in 1 hour and a half, considering I'm flying with just a carry on?

Thanks,

Eric.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting international (LAN) to domestic (Virgin)

yes, possible at that time of night. but right on the edge.

www.sydneyairport.com.au/go/terminal-transfer

Edited: 9:27 pm, December 19, 2012
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting international (LAN) to domestic (Virgin)

What happens if your LAN flight is even half an hour late?

Jetstar have a 9:40 pm flight. I'd be booking on that instead of Virgin.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting international (LAN) to domestic (Virgin)

I agree. Change to a later flight. It is too tight and LAN is sometimes late.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting international (LAN) to domestic (Virgin)

I don't see that 9:40pm flight on jetstar.com for any day the last 2 weeks of March 2013. Perhaps it's only on peak season?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting international (LAN) to domestic (Virgin)

Yes, that flight seems to end in February. You didn't give dates in your OP.

In that case I would plan on spending the night in Sydney and traveling on to the Gold Coast next morning.

If you do try and make the connection on the earlier flight with Virgin, make sure that you purchase a fully flexible fare so that if you arrive late you can contact Virgin and they will get you on the next flight - even if that is the next day.

Unfortunately LAN isn't one of Virgin's partner airlines so you won't be eligible for their seamless transfer from International to Domestic and you will need to make your own arrangements to get from one terminal to another. I'd be taking a cab.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting international (LAN) to domestic (Virgin)

Last I looked the Virgin Seamless Transfer involved handing you a ticket for the T-bus. So with only carry-on no advantage.

Still, I agree with eva. Take a taxi, and have a plan B. That flight being 30 mins late wouldn't raise an eyebrow, and it would completely throw out your plans.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting international (LAN) to domestic (Virgin)

Ok, good to know. I wasn't aware it may even take a cab to get to the other terminal. I guess I can spend the night in Sydney and leave in the first one available the next morning. After all, may come handy after a 14 hours flight!

Thanks for the feedback.

Eric.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecting international (LAN) to domestic (Virgin)

Actually.... I jus realized I can fly to Brisbane later that night (21:30) and so start my trip the first night there and going to Gold Coast later.

I should have mentioned that I'm still planning and have only purchased the international flights. My plan is to visit Sydney, Gold Coast, Brisbane and Cairns, about 3 nights each.

Eric.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecting international (LAN) to domestic (Virgin)

if u r wanting to visit sydney why wouldn't u begin your australian trip there after such a long flight rather than continue on the same day?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connecting international (LAN) to domestic (Virgin)

I don't have a strong reason either way, just thought I'd head to the beach as soon as possible hoping I'd get slightly hotter days than in April. Either way I have to be in Sydney at the end of the trip, so would just do all nights together in there rather than staying two days at the beginning and two at the end.

I'm open for feedback as I'm trying to make hotel and flights reservations these days.

Eric.