We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Mountains Explorer Link

South Florida...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Blue Mountains Explorer Link

Hi everyone. I have been reading this forum for a while now to help plan my trip coming up in June. I am a bit confused regarding the train options to the Blue Mountains, and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I am planning on taking a train from Sydney's Central station to Katoomba and hopping on the Explorer bus to see some sites in the Blue Mountains. I have seen on the Transport Infoline a ticket called the Blue Mountains Explorer Link. My confusion lies in what exactly is included in this ticket. Does anyone know if my fare going to and returning from Katoomba station is included or will I have to purchase this separately? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Sara

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Mountains Explorer Link

The Blue Mountains Explorere Link ticket is a combination-purchase which you can make at Sydney terminal (or any) railway station before you depart; it provides return train fare to Katoomba and a ticket on the double-decker bus which visits around twenty of the most popular sights in Katoomba/Leura. My understanding is that its only advantage is convenience -- you buy once instead of buying twice -- and that there is no cost saving at all; however, that information is a couple of years old, and the point-to-point fares may have increased more than the Explorere ticket, so I won't be too authroitative on that one! Certainly, however, the aim of the ticket is not to save you money, and there are other ways, if you choose, to reduce the price of fares to the Blue Mountains. These are:

Off-peak rail tickets. Leave after 9 a.m. and you pay around 60% of the full rail fare. Then buy your bus (or trolley) fare at Katoomba separately.

If you plan to do some more bus, train, or ferry hopping when you return to Sydney in the evening, buy a Daytripper Pass for $15 (whether before 9 or after 9, it doesn't matter), and use it as far as Emu Plains. Then buy an extension from Emu Plains to Katoomba (at off-peak rates). You should be able to buy that extension right there at Sydney Terminal, and even if you buy it before the 9 a.m. peak-cut-off, they should be able to sell it to you at off-peak rates if you assure them that it will not be used until after 9 a.m. (it will take you an hour to get to Emu Plains by train).

If you plan to visit Featherdale Wild Life Park near Blacktown (a worthwhile visit, but not worth using up a whole day for), on the way to the Mountains, leave Sydney around 8, buy a normal return to Blacktown, alight at Blacktown and get a taxi for the two-kilometre journey to Featherdale (which you will reach just as it's opening, the best time), spend an hour or so looking at the animals, return to Blacktown Station, and buy an off-peak return from Blacktown to Katoomba.

When you get to Katoomba, choose the trolley instead of the double-decker bus. Although they visit (more-or-less) the same places, and you can do the get-on-an-off-as-you-choose plan with both, they are differently-priced, and for a single day the trolley is cheaper -- $12 per person, if memory serves ( the bus, I think, becomes cheaper if you have two days, as the more-expensive ticket -- around $20 -- allows you a second go, whereas the trolley is strictly a one-ticket-per-day affair).

Hope that clears things up!

South Florida...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Mountains Explorer Link

Thanks AlanJ for your assistance. Now I need to do some more research as you brought up some interesting options!

Sara