We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

backpacking

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
3 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
backpacking

Daughter going backpacking,starting in Sydney then making her way up to Queensland-spending 4 weeks end of June to end of July- what is the weather likely to be in New South Wales and Queesland at that time. Needs to pack sensibly so any help would be appreciated.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: backpacking

Coming from the UK, she'll probably think it's warm.... although June is what Aussies call winter!

There will be some rain.... not heavy storms, but periods where it drizzles down all day. Nights will be crisp in NSW, less so as she travels north into Queensland. Some days will be so gloriously clear and sunny that she will think this is the best climate in the world.... but, still, she will need to be prepared for the other kind, too.

Oh, dear, that's really not much help, is it? What I seem to have told you is to be prepared for everyth kind of weather there is! Maybe the next poster will be more concise!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: backpacking

In NSW and Qld it can get cold at night and many places do not centrally heat. So she should bring a couple of warm tracksuit type things for the nights. I would bring a coat, as I have worn coats in Sthn Qld at night in June/July. I noticed the locals in Townsville wearing scarves and coats one July, even though I only needed a long sleeved shirt. Everything in life is relative!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: backpacking

Sydney June - Julyt

he cooler months with more rain (though many fine days too) and temperatures (15C / 55F) fall around June and July.Jumper and coat needed ..plus a small travelling umbrella.

Cairns

Winter: June - August

This time of the year is generally regarded as the most pleasant in every sense of the word - low rainfall, comfortable temperatures during the day, and cool nights. The days are sunny, and even though this is the coldest time of the year for Cairns, it remains hotter than many places around the world in their summer. The average daytime temperature is 26°C, and humidity levels are low. Light coat for nightime.

Brisbane/ Sunshine Coast

The winter is mild and very pleasant. Most winter days are sunny with average temperatures of around 17°C. Average monthly rainfall over the year is around 96 millimetres. With an average of 8 hours of sun per day

Coat or jumper still needed at nightime.