We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any great suggestions for walking shoes to travel

Coolum Beach
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Any great suggestions for walking shoes to travel

Soon to be pounding the streets of Europe and want to buy new, comfortable walking shoes ( will wear them in !). Any brands tried and tested ? I live near Brisbane.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,010 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any great suggestions for walking shoes to travel

I like Keens - specifically the Sydney model.

keenfootwear.com.au/Product/…Sydney-II

Also Ecco brand make very comfy stylish walking shoes.

They both have good padded inner soles but they can also be removed to insert your own ones if you have favourites..

I have 4 year old Sydneys that look as good as new even after trips round south amercia and multiple trips to antarctica. Plus I pretty much live in the daily through summer. Have probably lasted longer than any other shoes I have ever owned. Also have 2 x 2 year old pairs.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any great suggestions for walking shoes to travel

IMO you just need to take the time to do lots of trying on to see what suits you. Lots of recommendations around for Ecco but I can't wear them. Same for Geox. Too narrow for my foot You just need to find the perfect shoe for your foot.

I always travel with Crocs. Not the clunky clogg ones but the neat ballet slipper and sandal type. Look good, comfy, super lightweight and can be washed out in the shower ever night in case you've stepped in something nasty.

Sydney
Level Contributor
919 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any great suggestions for walking shoes to travel

I have found the Joseph Siedel brand make good comfy shoes. David Jones stock them. Rockport are good too; also Ecco have worked well for me.

Consider how light they are, how much cushioning there is, and how they will stand up to bad weather. When you try them on, some shoes will naturally propel you forward and make walking easier. I've found that with Ecco. Maybe check out Sketchers as well?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any great suggestions for walking shoes to travel

Ecco are my favourites for all day walking.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,522 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any great suggestions for walking shoes to travel

whatever you decide on, if you are going to be in Europe in winter, make sure there is room in them for a good quality lambswool liner - nothing worse than cold feet.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,518 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any great suggestions for walking shoes to travel

I usually take a good quality trainer / walking shoe with a thick sole as there are lots of cobblestones in old cities in Europe and those are the only ones that help with my sensitive little feet - lol

Bought some Merrells in NY this year and they are quite comfy and sturdy but I still think my thick soled trainers are better for me for walking around all day.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any great suggestions for walking shoes to travel

IMHO If you are travelling soon I would be buying a good pair of boots with non sliding soles, for rain, slush, ice and snow. If you choose the rights boots they can look good with anything you wear and be really comfortable for lots of walking. Shoes of any kind would be too cold for many European countries at this time of year. If you are going to the med coast, then shoes could be an option.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,518 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any great suggestions for walking shoes to travel

Yes, you definitely need something without decorative holes ... they let in rain, mud, water ... you name it.

I always try to get leather.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any great suggestions for walking shoes to travel

I would find a good shoe shop with a wide variety of walking shoes; the other thing to look for is that the shop has a podiatrist on duty. Or look for a podiatrist who will stock shoes. I found this way of buying shoes so much better, podiatrist will assess how you walk on the shoes and you will be thankful for that afterwards. One thing that I found over the years is that if you have to "break in" your shoes, they are not the ones you want to be travelling with. Rockport is good, Kumfs, Ecco - basically, you have to try and try and try, until you find the ones that suit you. My most expensive pair of shoes ever was a pair that I worn for work for about 6 years straight - 5 days a week, 8 hours per day "pounding" the hospital ward. I don't remember the brand, in fact, nothing was written on the shoe itself, I only remember they were from NZ and had an insole like an "eggshell" mattress. When I put them on my feet said: "Aah-h, we are home"... :)) Didn't ever regret the $250 spent on them...

Coolum Beach
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any great suggestions for walking shoes to travel

Thank you very much for your great, very helpful Information. Will definately follow up all suggestions.. In Europe in April/May 2013