We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney, 2 days, first time, limited walking

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney, 2 days, first time, limited walking

Gidday,

I am bringing my fiance to Sydney for her first visit on the 16th November for the weekend. We come in late on the Friday and have tickets to a concert on Sunday afternoon at the Opera House.

She has just had an operation which will limit the distances she can walk. Where would you suggest we stay in Sydney?

First timer suggsestions seem to be The Rocks.

Does this work with limited walking? We have a budget for accomodation of less than $250.

Thank you for your assistance,

Mick

Sydney
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney, 2 days, first time, limited walking

The Rocks is a great area of Sydney and very close to our main attractions and transport to take you further afield. The only problem is that it is often very steep and the accommodation which is likely to fit into the budget tends to be higher up the hill.

The places that I would think make most sense due to location would be the Holiday Inn Old Sydney, The Russell hotel, The Rendezvous or the Harbour Rocks hotel. I'm not sure how they go budget wise, but wotif or any of the booking websites should help.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney, 2 days, first time, limited walking

We stayed at the Travelodge Wynard which was very reasonably priced. Its quite central too and right beside Wynard station which will get you around the city.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,135 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney, 2 days, first time, limited walking

You can also take advantage of the free 555 bus. It has a limited schedule, but it goes around in circles, both directions, right in the down town area.

sydneybuses.info/free-shuttles/free-shuttle-…

There is a link for the map on the above link as well.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,573 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney, 2 days, first time, limited walking

I always associate the Rocks with walking, steps and hills. It depends how you intend to get around - if you only intend to take a taxi from your door it doesn't matter.

If you want to get public transport, then somewhere close to the transport hubs may be better. Accommodation is certainly cheaper near Central station, and you'll have the option of buses and trains down to Circular Quay fairly easily from around there (including the free 555 bus).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,290 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney, 2 days, first time, limited walking

At the Opera House, there are lifts to help your fiancee avoid the myriad steps

sydneyoperahouse.com/Visit/Accessibility_Mob…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney, 2 days, first time, limited walking

Thank you very much for all your help. love the idea of the 555 bus. am thinking we will stretch the budget and stay at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney. that way we can ask to leave the bag at the hotel and it will be easy to get back to after the show before headign off to the airport.

Thanks once again,

Mick

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,573 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney, 2 days, first time, limited walking

It is probably over a kilometre walk from the Opera House to the Holiday Inn.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,148 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney, 2 days, first time, limited walking

555 is also a fair walk from Holiday Inn.

It isn't an easy walk on a Sunday either as you have the rocks market on along with the queues for the ferries.

A taxi might be a good option is walking is an issue.

Whilst out of the price range I think, perhaps look at the Stamford. It may easily be a similar price

Right near 555 bus and a short but slightly uphill walk from the OH

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney, 2 days, first time, limited walking

I'm not sure of the extent of your fiances injuries, but if she really can't walk then take a cab to the opera house and tell the security at the main gate that you have someone with you who can't walk. They will allow the cab inside the concourse and you can be dropped off right at the door. I do it all the time with my mum.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,148 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney, 2 days, first time, limited walking

You actually don't need to say anything...cabs get right up to the door.. lift is usually right near they will drop you off.

I do that all the time too...

The current arrangements have the bottom area blocked off but Taxis are allowed entry no questions asked.