We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Music/DVD store

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
339 reviews
Save Topic
Music/DVD store

The last time I was in Sydney I bought quite a number of DVD box sets and some CD's from the Virgin Store on George Street but I see its closed now.

Where can I now buy these from now apart from online where I'll get clobbered for taxes when they arrive in the UK?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,149 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Music/DVD store

JB Hi Fi have a sizable range.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Music/DVD store

JB Hi Fi are in Westfield Sydney, CBD, Pitt Street Strand Arcade, Galeries Victoria and World Square. Unfortunately DVDs - in stores, its a trade that may not last too much into the future...................

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Music/DVD store

Thanks for the advice and the location of them. :)

I usually order online but there are a number that I am after so wanted to buy them when I am in Australia.

Its normally Sanity that I order from - do they have stores or is it just all online?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Music/DVD store

They use to have stores everywhere once but if there are any around still I don't know.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,405 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Music/DVD store

Check whether your DVD player can play all regions. I think our DVDs are not the same region as yours?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Music/DVD store

Yes I have a multi region DVD player because UK is 2 whereas Australia/NZ is 4.

There are a couple of box sets I want to get when I am in New Zealand too!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Music/DVD store

Are you staying in hotels?

Sometimes when travelling, I find it easier to order online and have items sent to me at the hotel. It frees up time while on holiday. :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,405 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Music/DVD store

Are you buying them here because they are cheaper? I am surprised, I thought we paid through the nose for things like that here.

Sanity don't have any stores in the city any more, just out in the suburbs and country areas. http://www.sanity.com.au/StoreLocator.aspx

JBHiFi is your best bet, they are usually the cheapest as well.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,149 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Music/DVD store

I'm surprised too as I generally order from UK and US !

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Music/DVD store

Yes I am staying at the Marriott at Circular Quay. I've never tried getting something delivered to a hotel while I am away as you are never sure if it will arrive while you are still there!

Its Australian TV shows that I am after (City Homicide S2-4 and Underbelly) which I can't get in the UK, well not without importing it, and as I am after a few of them it saves me paying for delivery and then taxes when it arrives in the UK.

And when I am in New Zealand I want to get S4 of Go Girls.

Thanks Aynat62 for that link. I see they have a store in Geelong that I might have a chance to get to before we do the Great Ocean Road.

Edited: 7:07 am, October 25, 2012