We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Available transport after New Year's eve celebration

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
703 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Available transport after New Year's eve celebration

We will be going to Sydney Harbour bridge area to view the fireworks and enjoy the celebration, likely will be there till slightly after midnight where the fireworks are over. What are the available transport options (trains, buses still running?) and also, if trains and buses are not available, are taxis plentiful after midnight and where can we find a taxi waiting area that is near the sydney harbour bridge/darling harbour area to catch a taxi back?

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,073 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Available transport after New Year's eve celebration

Where do you want ot get back to?

Many places in the city itself walking is fastest.

For the suburbs the train is usually best

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Available transport after New Year's eve celebration

IME taxis are almost impossible to get after midnight and you could be waiting for some time. Especially if you will be in the Circular Quay/Rocks area. Trains and buses will be running through the night. Although getting Into a station and onto a train or bus may take a while, it's probably the best way to get from the city to wherever you are staying. If your accommodation is within a couple of km of the city, then walking will be the quickest option.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
703 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Available transport after New Year's eve celebration

Thanks for the replies! We have not booked our accomodation yet, but likely will not be nearby the city centre as it is super expensive on new year's eve. I will start another thread on new year's eve accomodation. Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,073 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Available transport after New Year's eve celebration

No problems.

if looking out of the CBD consider being close to rail link.

Olympic Park may not be the best choice. The station there only operates for major events and the ferry is a fair walk from most places and not suitable for NYE

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Available transport after New Year's eve celebration

I know NYE seems like long way off, but the more popular accomodation has already been booked out and the rest is going fast. If I were you I'd book something ASAP or you may find yourself with very little choice.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Available transport after New Year's eve celebration

>>>Olympic Park may not be the best choice. The station there only operates for major events and the ferry is a fair walk from most places and not suitable for NYE<<<

The station there operates daily, year round. Trains run until the wee hours of the morning on NYE.

You may need to change trains at Lidcombe, however.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,073 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Available transport after New Year's eve celebration

Inas,

My bad,

Is it just every time I go they are running buses on the half hour?

It was closed 2 weeks ago on a Thursday.

Edited: 12:15 am, October 08, 2012
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Available transport after New Year's eve celebration

great info on this. Me too going to Sydney for NYE Fireworks. Accommodation now is very expensive around the area and yes i also having trouble looking for nearer and cheaper accommodation. Still searching...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Available transport after New Year's eve celebration

I live in north West Sydney where there is no train line, and buses run non stop until everyone is gone, every new year day. There will be no bus timetable, and all the major routes will keep running until everyone is out of Sydney city, so there is no need for taxi, and no need to run for the last bus.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Available transport after New Year's eve celebration

"also having trouble looking for nearer and cheaper accommodation. Still searching"

Areq ... the longer you keep searching the less chance you'll get of finding something cheaper.