We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment, Sydney CBD with good facilities for self catering

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment, Sydney CBD with good facilities for self catering

Hi,

We have been to Sydney quite a few times but are struggling to find an apartment in the CBD area around Town Hall which is reasonably priced. One of the apartments I have written to haven't returned with an answer after emailing twice for a quote. I have found others but they all seem to have limited cooking facilities.

We don't mind two cooking rings and a microwave, that would be fine. My husband is a genius at cooking with limited facilities so we could manage.

Prices have gone up significantly since the pound crashed and with the increase in charges (which you expect to pay) they have just gone through the roof.

We would have liked to have gone to an apartment on World Square but the same apartment in Adelaide is £60UKP per night cheaper for the same facilities. With the recession people haven't got the money like they used to have, but they still keep going up. Singapore has gone up 130 per cent since 2008 and that is without breakfast but the hotel chains/owners don't seem to realise.

Any help from anyone who has found a good decent apartment with good self catering facilities and a good price (I don't want backpacker places) I would be interested. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Pegasus65.

Edited: 3:06 pm, October 04, 2012
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment, Sydney CBD with good facilities for self catering

have prices really gone up that much in local currency terms or is it because the pound has decreased in value against them?

i have not seen so much of an increase in accommo costs in sydney from an ausdol point of view. 130% rise in SIN? haven't noticed that either.

anyway....for an apartment look at www.wotif.com and put in your criteria.

use it as a search engine then contact the property directly.

Edited: 4:43 pm, October 04, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,566 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment, Sydney CBD with good facilities for self catering

Have a look at www.wotif.com.au

Plenty of good quality self catering apartments around Town Hall.

Sydney is more expensive than Adelaide. Comparisons are more relevant with NYC, London, Paris.

Post your budget (in AUD) and when you are coming and we will be able to give some useful advice.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,464 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment, Sydney CBD with good facilities for self catering

IMO you can't really compare Adelaide with Sydney - it's lovely but my perception is that it isn'tas big a drawcard for tourists as Sydney, Melbourne and parts of Qld for instance

Where you are looking in Sydney is one of the most popular locations due to its proximity to public transport, shops and tourist places. Granted Circular Quay is more expensive and very popular, but rents for commercial properties in Sydney are up their with rents in NY, London etc

As Lien has suggested, trawl through Wotif, or do a google search for "self catering apartments Sydney" and you'll find something to suit your budget and cooking prowess.

Have a look at :

Meriton

Quest

Oaks Hotel Resorts

Medina

or Stayz

or aaatourism.com.au/accommodation/…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,865 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment, Sydney CBD with good facilities for self catering

I think the OP is referring to the effect of exchange rates. The Sing dollar has made great progress against ours.

You've got lots of links. While not at town hall the Meriton Campbell apartments have good cooking facilities, and are usually in the lower end of the price range for nice units.

Prices still reflect the market .There was a downturn in the economy but it really has not yet had huge impact here

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment, Sydney CBD with good facilities for self catering

And as always the Suppy/demand comes into it. Accommodation in Sydney runs at high occupancy all year round & at almost 100% at peak times. Apartments have become more popular with both holiday & business travellers.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment, Sydney CBD with good facilities for self catering

The Medina on Kent St has an excellent full kitchen in their one bedroom apartments and is only 1 block from Town Hall. Standard (being lower floor with no view) has a much lower rate than premium. I don't know what the facilities are like in their studios but if you contact them direct, they are very helpful. Just remember that ANY Saturday night in Sydney CBD (even if you're there for 3 weeks) will be costing you extra.

If you can be just one stop away from the city, try the area around Central Station where prices drop dramatically from the city centre or even look at North Sydney (great views of the city from there!). Milson Executive have one bed apartments (varying kitchen facilities so make sure you let them know your kitchen is important......) and are priced at around $200/nt (no excess for Saturdays on a long stay) for a non-premium apartment.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,566 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment, Sydney CBD with good facilities for self catering

Pegasus65,

In the interest of comparing apples with apples, I had a look for self catering apartments in London's CBD. This link is to Merlin Apartments, in Queen Street, close to St. Paul's Cathedral, which is probably the closest to the Town Hall/St Andrews Cathedral location in Sydney, for the purpose.

One BR apartments at Merlin range from GBP 165 (AUD 260) upwards.

www.wotif.com/hotel/View…

Quest World Square (in Sydney CBD) has One BR apartments from GBP 119 (AUD 187) for the same period (although it's heavily booked).

By and large, Australia has not become more expensive IME - but Brits, Americans and others whose currency has dropped against the AUD are now experiencing what we Australians have for many years.

England
Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment, Sydney CBD with good facilities for self catering

Hi,

Thank you to all who have replied to my post, I am still in the throes of looking and now I have some good places to start.

We have lost 80 cents on each £1UKP so when we were getting 2.3 Australian dollars to the pound, we now pay roughly one third of the cost more for accommodation, meals, etc. Not that I am complaining about that, but we are in a recession and there isn't that much money to go round for anyone. So hence asking the question to at least get a decent place and save money.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,

Pegasus65.

England
Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartment, Sydney CBD with good facilities for self catering

Hello Lien,

I just wanted to get back to you on the Singapore prices. In 2008 we paid £53UKP for bed and breakfast in the Allson Hotel in Singapore (now called the Grand Pacific). Now if we want to book the same room in February 2013 without breakfast is £109 for two people with £30UKP for breakfast on top. That is where I came up with the increase of 130 per cent. Don't get me wrong I do not mind paying some extra but not priced out of existence.

We go to Singapore twice to four times per year and have been doing since 2000 and prices remained steady until 2008, since then they have skyrocketed as has with Australia hence my comment. The UKP has fluctuated but not greatly but it has fluctuated from as low as $2 to £1 to $3 to £1.

So I am going to check all the places which yourself and others have recommended, thanks for your input.

Regards,

Pegasus65

As mentioned above I appreciate

10. Re: Apartment, Sydney CBD with good facilities for self catering

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, December 14, 2013