We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Honeymoon

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Honeymoon

My fiance and I are planning to spend 4 luxurious days in Sydney for our honeymoon over New Years Eve 2013/2014. We have a couple of questions!

- We have a maximum budget of $500/ night - less if possible so we can have extra for shopping! Would obviously love a view of the harbour, but this isnt vital as we will go out to dinner/party on NYE. What hotel can you recommend that will offer the best value room for our budget?

- Would love to have some special, or unique dining experiences. Already considering a picnic and helicopter flight to bondi with lunch included, but any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Honeymoon

You're coming at the worst possible time when it comes to finding hotels under $500 (on the 31st December, 2012, that is). The one that I can think of which is literally just under your budget range (at $499!) is the Harbour Rocks Hotel, who have a four night-minimum stay, and are close to where all the action is going to happen.

Look at www.wotif.com/ to see what's available in your budget range, but, also, check prices on the hotel's own website or contact them directly. You are best to book ASAP or you will either be left with poorer options, or see prices skyrocket even higher and you needing to stretch your budget even further (or look at staying in the suburbs instead).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,533 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Honeymoon

Congrats on your upcoming marriage ... you must be busy planning the wedding but have forgotten that NYE is a big thing here in Sydney.

As arisanosila says, you'll be lucky to get something for $500 per night. I'm not sure what's available at Darling Harbour, which may or may not afford water views, however it may be worth a shot trawling through some 3rd party sites as well as hotel sites and booking ASAP.

Another thing to bear in mind is that staying in suburbs of Sydney over NYE can be costly too and usually have a minimum stay requirement and then you have the added extra for travel into and out of the city.

Read the "Sticky" above your post and the FAQs to the right of your screen if you haven't already done so.

Good luck !!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Honeymoon

I am planning it not for this year, but next year. We were thinking of staying 4 nights, do most hotels require longer stays then this?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,385 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Honeymoon

I appreciate you aren;t coming till next year but the prices on wotif for this year are a good indicator of the prices for any NYE irrespective of time of booking.

I would start by emailing the big hotels like Stamford, intercontinental, Four seasons, Shangri La. They may not even be taking bookings that far out but will tell you when the bookings open and give you a price quote. You wont find much information on line as yet.

4 nights is usually fine., but some may ask for 5 this far ahead.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,533 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Honeymoon

oops - didn't see the 2014 !!

I have seen one or two in the eastern suburbs with a minimum 7 night stay over that period, but most in the city seem to want a minimum 3 nights from around 29th December.

The other thing is that it is hard to know or predict what prices the rooms will be in 2013/14.

If there is a hotel you are particularly interested in, then if it was me, I would book directly with them and be specific about the type of room you want etc ... it may be well worth approaching them now to explain you'll be on your honeymoon, what you want and find out when the bookings for 2014 will be available to book.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Honeymoon

Unfortunately, Sydney NYE is a premium product for ANY hotels in Sydney, regardless on their actual locality, as long as they are internationally accredited hotel, you are looking at the most expensive room rates for the year, puls 3-5 nights minimum stay.

Industry practice for Harbour front hotels, 3 nights minimum for non firework view rooms, 4-5 nights for firework view, do not be confused or mislead with terms of "Darling Harbour View", these rooms mostly get you ZERO view of the firework, hence the lower price. These rooms will still cost around $500 a night for minimum 3 nights in most 4 - 5 star hotels around City/The Rocks area.

Being the prime product of the year, its a seller market, regardless of how earlier your enquiry is, early bird discount will never apply (there will always be someone who asked/waitlisted before you too). For 2013/2014 NYE, you will most probably not get a confirmation, but a waitlist with no price quoted. Most hotel do wait for their comp set (direct competing market) to work out their prices, which is in March or April every year.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Honeymoon

Harbourview at lavender bay has its nye offerings for dec31, 2013 already, but oohing under $500

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Honeymoon

Check out hotels in North Sydney/Milson's Point / Kirribilli/ Mosman/ Cremorne Point area. They can have great views. Dinner at Ripples this NYE was only about $90pp, if I can remember correctly. Right under the Bridge. Great view. Also the restaurant at North Sydney Olympic Pool is fantastic with great views. Maybe stay somewhere without the view, and go out for the night. 3 night minimum everywhere practically. Also check out airbnb website for accommodation.

9. Re: New Years Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 29, 2014