We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3rd time round and still lovin' Sydney.. but..

singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
3rd time round and still lovin' Sydney.. but..

I'm booked on a trip to Sydney next week, and it'll be my 3rd visit to Sydney. Never tired of the lovely place, but it'll be my first time experiencing the autumn weather.

So I'm wondering what sort of clothes I should pack? I don't suppose I can do any suntanning? :(

More importantly, I've spent a fair share of my first 2 trips to Sydney doing all the touristy stuff so I think I've exhausted most of my options. I've done Blue Mountains, traveled to Canberra and even gone up to Newcastle. The usual ferry rides, sydney aquarium, shopping sprees - been there and done that too.

This trip is really for me to getaway from the stressful working life in singapore. Any idea what else to do? Somewhere quaint to visit? Anywhere interesting to eat at? Any where to go to meet new people - not at clubs please..

I'll be travelling alone mostly and as long as it is safe to venture to, I'm keen to explore. I'll be staying in Sydney for about 1 week.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,209 posts
1,448 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3rd time round and still lovin' Sydney.. but..

Hi P/P

Have you done the Northern beaches?

There are numerous ways to see Pittwater/Hawkesbury River, the best being . take a cruise on the Hawkesbury River Cruises and spend a day enjoying the beautiful waterways, stopping off for lunch at Bobbin Head. Another suggestion is to get off at Cottage Point Inn and have lunch overlooking Coal and Candle Creek, they also have overnight luxury accommodation available but you need to book (612 9456 1011).The cruise leaves Palm Beach Wharf at 11.00am daily.Cath the L90 bus from Wyndard Station.

Another great way to see the river is to catch the Riverboat Postman, this is a service that delivers mail to isolated houses it takes approx 3 hours and runs Monday to Friday. Catch a train from Central Railway Station in the city at 8.16am to Hawkesbury River Railway Station in time to catch the mailman. (02 9985 7566) for more details.

Palm Beach ferries also offers a unique way to see Pittwater which operates from Palm Beach Wharf (02 99182747) you can catch a ferry to Ettalong, The Basin, Patagona, Pearl Beach and Woy Woy.

Or Stay at Headlands – Broken Bay. Voted the best small hotel in NSW, and catch ferries to explore other places.www.headlands.com.au a five star stunning hotel set amongst National Parks overlooking the beautiful waters of Pittwater. (Expensive)

Another budget accommodation is Pittwater YHA (9999 5748) catch the 156 bus from Manly Wharf to Church Point and then a ferry to Halls Wharf.

Bring jumper/coat/umbrella and good walking shoes..expecially since you are from Singapore you will feel the cold.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3rd time round and still lovin' Sydney.. but..

Since you have already done many of the 'touristy' things in Sydney, you might want to spend some time off the beaten track in some of the Inner City neighbourhoods like Balmain, Glebe, Newtown, Paddington or Crows Nest.

All of them are pretty easy to get to by bus, ferry or train from central Sydney, and each has a good strip of shops, cafes and restaurants to explore. You'll likely meet more of locals than tourists, and perhaps experience more of what living in Sydney is like for many of us.

singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3rd time round and still lovin' Sydney.. but..

Thank you both for the insightful inputs, I'll take it from here and do more research on these areas.

I didn't think the Hawkesbury river was very pretty the last time I was there. The river was quite dirty as we passed it by train to Newcastle. But perhaps I should give it another chance eh..