We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Footy?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
70 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Footy?

Would you recommend going to a rubgy match? It will be in season when I am there and I would love to see a match, but my husband as no interest.

Sydney
Level Contributor
335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Footy?

I may get an absolute hammering for saying this but if you do see a rugby match whilst here, then go to a rugby league game not rugby union, unless it is a big international match. Personally i dont think football games in Australia have as much buzz as yours do in america but it would still be a cultural experience as our version of football is completely different to yours and they dont wear so much padding which i think makes for a better game.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Footy?

HI

I'll get hammered as well but maybe you and your family would enjoy an Aussie Rules (AFL)game. Its the biggest, most popular and IMHO the best football code played in Australia and you won't see it anywhere else.

I know from other posts you are also visiting

Melbourne and in early August there are heaps of games on here, from Friday night through to Sunday afternoon. There is also a Sydney Swans game on in Sydney on Saturday 5 August in the evening.

If you want any more details let us know and I'll give you details of the best games to fit your dates.

Sydney
Level Contributor
335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Footy?

Didn't even think of afl as I am from Sydney and is not as popular here, but it is a uniquely Australian experience. Even though I have no idea what the game is about (except you get 6 pts for kicing it through the big posts and 1 for kicking it between the side ones - but isnt that all thats important anyhoo?)it would probably be a good day/evening out. From what I have seen of afl they seem to have more buzz at the games. People in nsw really seem to have gone off rugby since the whole super league debarcle (well at least thats when I stopped going to games).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,360 posts
1,526 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Footy?

Rubgy matches in sydney are great and not to be missed if you enjoy the game..try and catch a major game.

check out www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au for details on all games/dates etc.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Footy?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Footy?

There are 2 different types of Rugby in Australia.

1. Rugby League(most popular): try to get tickets to a "State of Origin" match (many people consider these matches to be the "superbowl" of Rugby League.

2. Rugby Union: Try to get tickets for one of the 2006 International Test Matches (Australia VS England, New Zealand, Sth Africa or Ireland)

Tickets for

Rugby League: www.nrl.com

Rugby Union www.rugby.com.au

tell your husband he won't be disappointed!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Footy?

or come along to State of Origin and watch Queensland thrash New South Wales :)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
465 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Footy?

Whether you see a rugby league match in Sydney or an AFL match in Melbourne, the game is played for the entire 80 minutes with only a break for half time. We do not stop a game for TV advertisements so you are not stuck at the game for 4 hours waiting for a result. It's hard stuff and the guys who play football here do not wear all that stuffing/padding. I find American men are usually quite surprised with this.

Sydney
Level Contributor
335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Footy?

And because there arent the breaks, these guys are very fit, hence many with sexy bodies (shame about their heads :) However I dont think this will go a long way in pursuading you husband......... But for a spunky monkey team you should watch Sydney City Roosters.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,360 posts
1,526 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Footy?

Very funny Anna2112...totally agree about the heads.