We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation

New Jersey
Level Contributor
70 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation

Is the best way to get around the city via ferry? Is there a subway or train system, how extensive is it?

We are staying in Circular Quay just a few blocks from the ferry terminal. I just want to get an idea of how to get to and from attractions that are not within walking distance.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Transportation

Glad to, as Euroka is one of the semi-undiscovered gems of the Sydney area, in my opinion.

First of all, however, a proviso. The kangaroos at Euroka are NOT enclosed, NOT tame zoo animals, NOT restricted to that area, and do NOT appear "on cue". It is just possible -- not likely, but possible -- that you could drive there and not see a single one, as the herd has decided (usually because of the behaviour of the previous visiting party) to move out and graze in the scrubby areas where you can't find them. This has only ever happened to me once, and (since I live nearby) I've been there upwards of twenty times... but it's always "on the cards", which is why I would never tell anyone to drive to the mountains JUST for Euroka Clearing... always on the way to (or from) something else.

OK, now to specifics. Euroka Clearing is in the Blue Mountains National Park, near the village of Glenbrook (one hour's drive from Sydney). You can travel to Glenbrook by train, but there is no transport from the railway station to Euroka, and, even though it can be walked, that's easily a half-day hike. The Great Western Highway runs through Glenbrook, and you turn left at the Tourist Information Centre there (which is well-signposted, has a large map on display, and will give you useful brochures if you arrive there in business hours... however, the best way to see the kangaroos is to arrive there before business hours, in the early morning). This side road goes right through the village, and you turn left at the T junction about 200 metres further on. From there, you just follow the winding road. You will come to a gate which is closed between sunset and sunrise to stop unauthorised campers using the National Park areas at night. There may be a ranger on duty at that gate, in which case you'll have to pay six dollars to drive your car in (there's an honesty box for the days when no one is on duty). The trail then becomes quite narrow, and, after going through a creek, soon turns into a dirt track.... however, there are signposts to Euroka for this last ten minutes of driving.

It's quite a scrubby, dense area, but, coming around the last bend (which is the one that the coaches can't negotiate, as it is narrow and unfenced), it opens up into a grassy, cleared area... Euroka Clearing. There are camping areas, picnic tables, and parking areas provided, and even clean toilets. Strolling around this area could take over an hour. Weekends and school holidays are a bad time to come, as you have several camping groups, and they scare off everything with their campfires, their loud music, and their general noise. But on a weekday morning you may have the whole place to yourself.... and the wild life.

The most common wild life is the white cockatoos, which are everywhere, and various other native birds (lorikeets and the occasional rosella). On two occasions I saw a goanna climbing a tree to raid the nests of the cockatoos, and they, in turn, had marshalled their forces to drive the beast back down.... their swooping and threatening calls, and the way they worked as a team, provided our Asian guests with quite a thrill. There are a few snakes around, also, but I have never heard of anyone being bitten... still, watch where you walk in summer.

And then there are the kangaroos. They are used to people, so are not shy when you come to within a couple of arms' lengths of them. You can wander among them, looking at the joeys in the mothers' pouches. One of the best sights is watching a joey walking alongside the mother -- sometimes they are almost as big as the mother and you can't tell which is which until you approach and the mother signals her baby to retreat to safety. Then the joey disappears into the pouch, a process that seesms to defy all the laws of physics. But, somehow -- feet and tail sticking out crazily -- he gets in.

You can't quite touch the roos -- they are not quite ready for that, even though at times they will let you get surprisingly close to touching distance, so great photos are possible -- and if you see a really large one, you are advised not to try to get too near, as this will be an "old man" roo, and they are, I assure you, not as harmless as they look!

On an unlucky day you may see just one or two hanging around, in which case they will be more shy and reluctant to let you get too close. On a good day, you will be surrounded by upwards of fifty, and they are so confident of their safety that they take absolutely no notice of you as you stroll among them. If some "rowdies" have preceded your visit, and run among them to stir them up, you may find that you can't see a single one, as kangaroos like peace and quiet. Even if that does happen, you'll probably enjoy the bird life and the general ambience. There's a hot bread shop at Glenbrook village, and this is a good first stop so that you can sit at one of the tables (or on the grass in the clearing) and "have breakfast with the kangaroos".

Enjoy!

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Transportation

dear Sydfanindia,

u r from pune,so am i .

when r u planning the syd trip?

i am going in may 2006(15 to 21 in sydney)

we can coordinate and meet

thanks

tirri(dr rao)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
70 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Transportation

AlanJ - that sounds amazing! We are planning to do the drive on a Sunday, should we switch our schedule and to have better luck on Tuesday? From your description a weekday would be better.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Transportation

Yes, all things being equal (I am talking here about the weather, which is of course crucial), I would certainly choose Tuesday over Sunday. Today is Saturday, and I have just driven home (to Glenbrook)from Wentworth Falls, and while the traffic going east was fine, I couldn't but sympathise with the traffic heading out of Sydney..... of course, on a Sunday it won't be so bad going out, but all those people will be coming back on Sunday afternoon!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
70 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Transportation

Point taken. We will stay in town on Sunday and see the sights and head out on Tuesday. Monday we are booked to do the Bridge Climb in the morning and that cannot be changed.