We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

birdsville track

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Topic
birdsville track

i am driving from melbourne to birdsville races along birdsville track at the end of august. i have heard of innaminka hotel, camerons corner, lake eire, and would like to see them all. My question is how long will this take as i have 10 days to get there, spend 3 days at the races and get home. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,446 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: birdsville track

This is slipping down the page. I can answer - but not enough time just now. If you send me a personal message I will get to it tomorrow.

But basic answer is you probably cant do it all. And you will need a 4wd.

Edited: 4:39 am, June 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: birdsville track

Sydney forum is not the place for your question

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: birdsville track

There is heaps of information on the Birdsville Track website

www.birdsvilleraces.com/Races2008/Travel_Info

You will definitely need 4wd. Probably better question answered for a 4wd forum.

Lou

Sunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: birdsville track

thanks lou or the link and luckily we do have a 4x4.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,446 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: birdsville track

Ok Robert . have now had time to look at this. Basically you only have 7 days driving time. You also need to bear in mind that roads in this area are often closed due to rain and you need to keep checking this website to see what is open transport.sa.gov.au/quicklinks/roadworks.asp

Now for your trip. To get to Lake Eyre from Melbourne head to Mildura then across SA to Peterborough, then Orroroo to Quorn, past Leigh Creek up the Oodnadatta Track to Maree. (This will take you to the Birdsville Track turnoff and will take 3 days driving). Stay o/night at Maree and fly over Lake Eyre then head up the Birdsville Track. This should be done in one day.

After the races head east on the Development Road until you see the Strzelecki Track and turn off to Innamincka. Should be able to make it in one day. (so far 5 days driving)

After Innamincka head south still on Strezlecki to the turn off to Merty Merty and Cameron’s Corner . Stay o/night (6 days driving)

From Cameron’s Corner head into Sturt National Park and to Tibooburra and the Silver City Hwy to Broken Hill (7 days driving ) Stay o/night.. Drive to Melb (8th day of driving )

So as you can see I think you would really be pushing to do it all.

I have driven on all these roads and some of it is pretty slow especially between Birdsville and Innamincka. and from Cameron’s Corner through to Tibooburra.

Recommend you get yourself a really good 4wd Guide. We have Explore Australia by 4wd. But there are others.

Also as others have said post your questions on a 4wd forum. Very few posters here will have any clue about the trip you are planning.

Sunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: birdsville track

thanks heaps nozzie for the info. i now see that we might have to see less attractions in order to have a better trip but that just gives us a chance to go back when we have more time

7. Re: birdsville track

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:41 am, June 20, 2013