We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On my own in Syndey for a week?

England
2 posts
Save Topic
On my own in Syndey for a week?

Hey everyone, only new to this site but I'm about to (at the end of Feb) be going to Sydney by myself for a weeks holiday. I've never been to Australia before, nor have I ever been on holiday on my own, so I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing. I'll be staying at the Rydges Jamison hotel for 6 days/nights and I'm not really sure what to do when I get there, factoring in that I'm pretty shy and I'll be on my own and obviously won't have a lot of time there anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should start, places to go/things to do or see, with those factors in consideration? Thanks, Jess xx

Sydney, NSW
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: On my own in Syndey for a week?

Dear Jess,

It would be useful if we knew your age bracket, because obviously that's going to influence what your interests are.

No good suggesting Kings Cross night clubbing if you're in your seventies, is it? Also where is the Rydges Jamison? If we knew that, it might also be useful for suggesting things to do and where to do them . . .

Maybe, just a clue to some of your interests might also help.

Sydney Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: On my own in Syndey for a week?

Hi jccoconut

I work across the road from Rydges Jamison. This hotel is a 5 minute walk from Circular Quay, the main ferry terminal on Sydney Harbour, so you could catch the ferry to Manly one day - one of Sydney's main beaches. At Circular Quay there is also a train station that will take you to Central Station, which is the main train terminal in Sydney and connects trains to everywhere. You could go up to the Blue Mountains via the train one day and see some of the sites. Or connect on a train down to Bondi Beach also. The main shopping area in downtown Sydney is on Pitt Street and George Street - Pitt Street being about a 10 minute walk from Rydges and George Street is around the corner from the hotel. There is also a great pub/eatery at the end of the street where Rydges is called "the establishment", which is popular on a Thursday night as there is a happy hour for women - champagne for free. How about climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge?

Sorry could go on forever, but these are just a few suggestions.

Good luck.

England
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: On my own in Syndey for a week?

Dodo - you're right sorry, should have given more info there! I'm twenty, pretty easy going on the interests (love shopping, chilling out, movies, pubs, men, sight-seeing, swimming, sunbathing, walks, wandering around aimlessly, new cultures, basically just about anything goes - never actually been clubbing but that's just because I'm shy which I'm sure will take a backstep in light of me being on holiday so I'm pretty much up for doing anything).

Cubi - thanks for your suggestions.. climbing Sydney Harbour Bridge sounds more like something I'm going to have to do next year when I'm planning on moving to Aus for a year with a friend.. not sure I'd want to do it on my own but does sound like a must for next time (unless I pick up some cute Aussie while I'm over there then I'd do it this time)! The Establishment sounds cool.. if you work opposite the hotel I'll be in, just keep your eye out for the English girl drunk on champagne, that'll be me! Obviously going to the beach is a must on my to do list while I'm over there, have to get into my bikini and make all my mates back home jealous but, which would you recommend - Manly or Bondi? Or are they both pretty much equal?

Thanks for all your suggestions...

Jess xx

Sydney Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: On my own in Syndey for a week?

Hi Jess

The Establishment has heaps of guys there on Ladies Night, for obvious reasons. Bondi and Manly are both nice. Manly is probably the "prettier" beach as it is surrounded by trees, so you can get into the shade if need be. But Bondi has a lot of tourists (English, Irish etc.) and is very popular on any day.

Good luck.

cold northern Europe
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: On my own in Syndey for a week?

Hi, im new to this site also im a 21 yr old male interested in sight seeing,beaches and clubbing, im gonna be staying at the swiss grand hotel- bondi beach from 1st march- 8th march,also by myself(hey u never know jess we might even bump into each other on bondi, not that we know what each other looks like though?). I decided that i wanted to check out sydney as a little stop off before i go to see my dad in new zealand for 3 weeks.

some of the things i want to do in the short time that im there are: check out the main beaches, go and check out the opera house area, maybe walk the harbour bridge, check out what the club scene is like, and take plenty of photos of everything.

Have a good one :-)

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: On my own in Syndey for a week?

Just came back from Sydney, and I was alone there. Found the city very safe. You'll find it pretty easy to get around. Take a ferry ride, recommend a Four Wheel Drive tour of the Blue Mountains. The Ship Inn was hopping with people during happy hour, across the street from Circular Quay, by the Marriott hotel. Sydney Opera House has tours that start on the hour, that last about an hour. Great option if you can't afford an Opera there. Also, lots of cafes alond the way to Opera House, places to sit and enjoy the harbour there, as well. Bondi Beach was easy to get to and liked the vibe there. You should also take the Monorail to Darling Harbour if you like to shop, that is a great area. The rocks is a great area, some nice pubs. I flew back to LA with a girl from Sydney, she also recommended Manly Beach. Have a great time.