We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Being Met at Sydney Airport?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Being Met at Sydney Airport?

Here's a tip the locals use to avoid the ridiculous parking fees at Sydney Airport [domestic and international]

Picker-upper

Make sure your mobile phone is charged-up and ON.

Confirm flight is on-time.

Drive to airport and time to arrive about 10 mins [domestic] 20 mins [international].

Park somewhere adjacent to Sydney Airport - Mascot [domestic], Arncliffe [international].

Wait for the call [OK I'm ready].

Proceed to designated meeting point.

Arriver

Disembark from plane and proceed to baggage collection.

Collect bags.

Turn on mobile phone or use a public telephone in the terminal.

Call your picker-upper on their mobile telephone and say "OK I'm ready". Go outside to a designated spot, say Departures drop-off. Your Picker-upper will be there directly.

Welcome to Sydney!

JC

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Being Met at Sydney Airport?

Oops

Meant to say

"Drive to airport and time to arrive about 10 mins [domestic] 20 mins [international]." - after the flight arrives

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Being Met at Sydney Airport?

hi JC,

thank you for detailing this system for us.

we've used this system of picking up our visitors/returning family for many years now.

btw, someone kindly passed this tip on in the letters page of the sydney morning herald recently and was taken to task for giving away this money saving tip. it was hoped that the airport authorities do not start to make it difficult/impossible for you to pick up passengers at the departures drop-off.

those parking rates at the international airport are outrageous!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Being Met at Sydney Airport?

We do much the same in Brisbane.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Being Met at Sydney Airport?

Quoting

btw, someone kindly passed this tip on in the letters page of the sydney morning herald recently and was taken to task for giving away this money saving tip. it was hoped that the airport authorities do not start to make it difficult/impossible for you to pick up passengers at the departures drop-off.

Yes I know. I read the messages in the SMH too [wasn't me]. Then I had to take someone to the airport. If there's anything I can do to help friends/colleagues not pay those ridicluous fees then I will. $11 for the first hour! The money-grubbing airport "authorities" may well introduce other fees to cover the lost revenue. But they'll do that anyway! And with the complicity of the State Govt.

[for other viewers] They recently wanted to build greater shopping facilities than are at the airport now. Without having to cover other infrastucture costs in an already congested car-wise area of Sydney. The very generous taxpayer would be expected to cover road-upgrades etc.

Anyway, Enough! Back to the travel tips!!

JC

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,865 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Being Met at Sydney Airport?

They will most likely remove drop off pick up zones for private vehicles and put in place hefty fines which are instantly slapped on you...

The other idea that I heard some time back was to charge an entry fee to the airport precinct (bit like the cab loading)...

Sydney airports claim..they have to support the infrastructure so they need to charge..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Being Met at Sydney Airport?

Shhhh!

Don't want to give them any more bright ideas ;-} !

JC