We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney Airport rip-offs

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
561 posts
284 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney Airport rip-offs

Passing through the airport last week I got the distinct impression that every service was set up with the intention to part travellers from large quantities of cash!

* Trying to change money it became apparent that all the bureaux de change charge a whopping $8 commission on even the smallest transaction. And some had a 25% spread between buy and sell rates.

* The shuttle bus running between the international and domestic terminals costs a ridiculous $4.50. (Compared to $2.80 on the regular Sydney Buses route 400.)

* The train into town costs $12.80 - compared to $3 for a journey of equivalent length on any other CityRail line. The dedicated cheapskate can save $5 by taking bus 400 to Rockdale, then train to Central. Or, if you're in Sydney for more than a few days, use these services with a weekly travel pass.

The authorities should be actively encouraging people to use public transport to the airport - not deterring them with artificially inflated fares.

We already pay loads of airport tax on the price of a plane ticket. Is there really any need to milk passengers even more?

Rant over!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sydney Airport rip-offs

dear rentaquote,

i agree with you that airports all over the world (including sydney) seem to be trying to rip you off.

* do try to have some local currency with you so that you do not get ripped off at the airport or use the ATMs as suggested. i was also caught out at auckland airport(no time to get money before leaving etc)

* thank you for that tip about the 400 bus between the two terminals. might it be awkward with luggage on the 400 bus compared with the shuttle?

* taking the bus and train into town could save you money but again you have to consider your amount of luggage. for example, we used the trains to get from JFK(new york) to manhattan but it was difficult with our luggage.

* the airport parking is outrageous! it costs A$19/hour to park there! talk about a rip-off!! we also wait for a call that our visitors/passengers are out of customs and ready to be picked up before we head to the airport.

* upon departure, the trick is to go into the terminal and find trolleys abandoned by passengers who have already checked in and use those trolleys and save your $2-3.

* airport taxes!! wow! are they expensive all over the world or only in australia?

thank you for the chance to add my rant to yours.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,789 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sydney Airport rip-offs

Thje trains are owned and operated by the government and are merely part of the Sydney transport network not at all dedicated to airport services..hence them being so disgusting.. the short stretch of "nice stations" are privately owned and hence have 'airport line levies' (aka platform subsidy)

Book on Qantas or an affiliated airline and the shuttle service between the two terminals is free and you don't need to carry luggage..something to seriously consider when you book a flight on virgin or jetstar which may only be a few dollars cheaper..

On the changing dollars note...it goes without saying that you should never change money in an airport regardless of your destination..the business is set up to catch unsuspecting or poorly prepared travellers..

We catch the airport rail service with reasonable frequency BUT the ONLY time i use it to the airport is if it's just me and the kid's (one travels free so it's just a bit cheaper than a taxi!)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sydney Airport rip-offs

Rentaquote

I'm not a person usually given to defending Sydney but given the prices on the Heathrow Express & the other express trains from other London Airports why woold you even bother to post this? Its AUD $40.00 in London compared to $ 12.80in Sydeny. If you really want to have a winge look at the outrageous cost of food & drinks at Sydney Airport. AUD $7.00 for a stubby of beer, which can be bought in any bottle shop for under $2.50. Shame, Sydney, Shame!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sydney Airport rip-offs

Rentaquote

I'm not a person usually given to defending Sydney but given the prices on the Heathrow Express & the other express trains from other London Airports why woold you even bother to post this? Its AUD $40.00 in London compared to $ 12.80in Sydeny. If you really want to have a winge look at the outrageous cost of food & drinks at Sydney Airport. AUD $7.00 for a stubby of beer, which can be bought in any bottle shop for under $2.50. Shame, Sydney, Shame!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,918 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Sydney Airport rip-offs

just use a ATM machine.....simple stuff....

London, England
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Sydney Airport rip-offs

I have to agree with AussieJohn. The price of the Gatwick and Stanstead Express are ridiculous, but people pay it for the convienience of getting straight to the airport without any other stops. (I did hear that the Gatwick Express is being phased out soon though). So Sydney isn't the only city guilty of this 'crime'. But no-one is forcing anyone to use those services, but we do, because it's easier than carting all our luggage onto a bus, then a train etc. But there are other options as you pointed out, so if you don't like paying the higher price, use the cheaper option available. I don't see what the problem is!