We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help: Zoo Selection around Sydney

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
Help: Zoo Selection around Sydney

Hi everyone,

This will be my first time travel to Australia. My family and I will reach Sydney on 26/8/2011 early in the morning. We will spend around one and half day in Sydney only. We will start our road trip to Melbourne via cost drive on the next day 27/8. The fist stop will be Wollongong, continue on to beautiful Kiama where the famous blowhole awaits and last stop at Jervis Bay on 27/8.

I'm currently looking at Featherdale Wildlife Park, Sydney Wildlife World and Symbio Wildlife Park, may i know which one is better? I prefer to have some physical contact with wildlife animals rather than just see outside the cage. Besides, the Zoo above which allow us to cuddle and petting the Koala and take some photo?

Everyone are welcome to share their experience and suggestion to me which zoo is worth to visit.

Thanks in advance. Have a nice day. ^_^

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,856 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help: Zoo Selection around Sydney

Being held by a human is very stressful for a koala, especially as they like to sleep all the day. So far as I know, there is nowhere that still allows this. Featherdale and Sydney Wildlife World are basically tourist traps. If you want to see a wide range of Australian animals, visit the Government zoo at Taronga Park.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,547 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help: Zoo Selection around Sydney

Since you're going down the coast I'll mention that the wildlife park near Batemans Bay lets visitors hold pythons and wombats and feed emus, which are a bit large to hold but believe me feeding one is plenty of interaction! IMO feeding an emu is as much a must-do as seeing a kangaroo, you just haven't had a balanced Aussie experience until you've done it ;-)

The places where I have seen koalas give you a very good look at them, it's not just peering through cage bars hoping to get a glimpse. Actually my favourite koala experience was getting a glimpse of some up a tree in the wild, what a privilege! If you have seen pictures of people "cuddling" koalas and thought they look like pets I can assure you that is not the case, they are not pets to be held like a domestic cat. In states where holding them is legal it is done under strict rules and time limits and only with animals acclimatized to being handled so that they don't get too stressed.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
448 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help: Zoo Selection around Sydney

I only know of zoos in Brisbane that you can hold koalas

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help: Zoo Selection around Sydney

>> Featherdale and Sydney Wildlife World are basically tourist traps. <<

Have to disagree with you there Nick. Featherdale has a terrific range of native animals & gets great reviews from the tourists trapped there! I must admit to thinking SWW would be a tourist trap until I visited there last year. Sure there are not as many animals as Taronga & Featherdale & the kangaroos looked decidely miserable on a rainy day, but the koala display was great & the whole thing can be seen in a short period of time.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,632 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help: Zoo Selection around Sydney

I also think Featherdale is pretty good. Just avoid Koala Park at West Pennant Hills - miserable and full of bus loads of tourists. Paint job on the outside does not reflect what you see inside.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help: Zoo Selection around Sydney

If you are travelling down the coast to Melbourne, there is a little wildlife park between Bega & Merimbula called Yellow Pinch Wildlife Park. On a guided tour you have the opportunity to feed and handle many of the animals including koalas and reptiles. It's a lovely little park in a true bushland setting so an all round much more authentic experience.

See this link tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c133611/Austr… for a guide to a selection of facilities in Australia.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
232 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help: Zoo Selection around Sydney

I also think Featherdale is good value for visitors who want to get up close to Aussie animals. For a start the crowds are smaller and you are physically closer to the animals. The Koalas are placed in a tree by a handler and you are invited to stand next to the Koala had pat it while having your photo taken. You can also take your own photo and do not have to buy theirs (at least last time I went you could)

I have also been to Symbio a few times and it is a very well run park. It was damaged by a bush fire a couple of years ago but is fine again now. It is a family owned park and I feel like they really do put the animals first. There is a very friendly feel to the place and I find it a more visually attractive park than Featherdale... It's bush setting on the edge of the national park is very nice. Your route will almost take you past Symbio so I would really seriously consider this park. I don't think you will be disappointed. Perhaps you can email them about photos.

I have a page on other animal encounters in Sydney - some of them free that you might like to check out. squidoo.com/where-to-see-australian-animals

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help: Zoo Selection around Sydney

You could check out Mogo Zoo, near Batemans's Bay - or if you have more time in Melbourne - why not leave it until you get there and enjoy your 1 day opportunity in Sydney doing something else.

http://www.mogozoo.com.au/

Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help: Zoo Selection around Sydney

Thanks for such a useful information, you guys are so great. Thanks again !

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help: Zoo Selection around Sydney

Hi Tracy,

Symbio would be a good option for you, especially if you're planning on heading down our way.

Symbio is a family run park, meaning that you can get up close with the Australian wildlife. Note that in New South Wales, you cannot independently cuddle a Koala, however Symbio has regular Koala presentations which give you the opportunity at the end to have photos, pat etc. There's also a large Kangaroo area where you can hand feed them.

Coming south, make sure you take the Grand Pacific Drive. The start of this drive is at the Royal National Park (approx 45 minutes from the centre of Sydney). This is the scenic way to Wollongong and further south.

More info here: http://grandpacificdrive.com.au/

I hope this info helps; if you need anymore, you can email us at tourism@wollongong.nsw.gov.au or if you're on Twitter, you can Tweet us tourist questions en route: @wollongong_nsw

Kind regards,

Kate

Tourism Wollongong