We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Sydney area 2/16-26...Can't wait! Any advice out...

Florida or Indiana
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
10 days in Sydney area 2/16-26...Can't wait! Any advice out...

Hi! We are off to Sydney Valentines Day and will arrive 2/16. It was my Christmas gift and I am so excited! Any Aussie advice out there of what we should not miss? Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,663 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Sydney area 2/16-26...Can't wait! Any advice out...

hi flaindy,

here is a list of what to do:

Opera House

The Historic Rocks area – Circular Quay/Custom House/Tank Stream/Overseas passenger terminal/Cadman’s cottage/Sailors home/Sydney Observatory/Garrison Church/visit all the pubs!

Harbour Bridge climb/Museum of Contemporary Art/Susannah Place Museum.

Darling Harbour – Walk Pyrmont footbridge/National Maritime Museum/Cockle Bay & King Wharf/Sydney Aquarium/Chinese Gardens/Chinatown/Paddies Market/Powerhouse Museum/Capitol Theatre/eat and dine on the waterfront.

Royal Botanical Gardens – Mrs Macquarie chair/Art Gallery of NSW/Conservatorium of Music/Walks and tours/lunch at art gallery

Macquarie Street and city -Hyde Park Barracks/State Library/Parliament House/Sydney Hospital/Mint Museum/Queens Square/Hyde Park/QV building/St Mary’s Cathedral/Strand arcade.

Sydney Tower – overview of the city of Sydney.

Catch all the ferries to different locations and explore area.

Taronga Park Zoo – see Koalas and famous seal show.

Luna Park – Sydney Icon next door to Nth Sydney Olympic Pool

Captain Cook Cruises – discover Sydney Harbour/Fort Denison Island/Shark Island/Parramatta river/Harbour beaches/Spit Bridge.

Watson’s Bay/the Gap – famous headland

Kings Cross – a lively bohemian history and nightlife

Paddington Markets - Paddington

Elizabeth Bay House – Historic House/Vaucluse House

Balmoral Beach/Chainman’s Beach/Mosman village/walk Mosman wharf to Cremorne Point Wharf.

Manly Beach -Manly to Spit Bridge Scenic walk

Bondi Beach –Coogee coastal walk / Tamarama/Clovelly/Coogee Beaches

Northern Beaches to Palm Beach – Pittwater and National Parks.

Sydney National Park – Southern Sydney.

Tour Blue Mountains

Other interesting suburbs: Pub crawl Balmain/Glebe/Newtown – inner city

North Shore: Lavender Bay/Milsons Point/Kirribilli/Cremorne Point

Tel
Great Yarmouth U.K
Level Contributor
668 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Sydney area 2/16-26...Can't wait! Any advice out...

Hi flaindy

You have been given a great reply by ellemay but I must stress to you not to miss out on the bridge climb as Sydney is the only place in the world you can do it and you will never forget the experience.If you don't mind paying the extra do the twilight climb its well worth it

Sydney
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Sydney area 2/16-26...Can't wait! Any advice out...

I agree; some great advice here. What can I add? Sydney is great in terms of big landscapes (beach and harbour) and in the taking-it-easy details. Ie be guided by a good travel guide (ie Time Out) and the Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide and relax and check out some great food and the vibe in Darlinghurst, Surry Hills and Potts Point. Go for a wander up and down Crown Street from Oxford to Cleveland for a slice of inner-city life. North Bondi is the better end. If you like to exercise there are a couple of fantastic open-air Olympic pools on the harbour in the Domain and at Milsons Point. Also the walk from Spit Bridge to Manly is great. It's 2 hours if you're fit. Take a hat and water. You can ferry/bus to either end. Hire a car; this will enable you to drive to the northern beaches (ie Bilgola) which are much better than the city beaches like Bondi. Also you can make a detour to the Blue Mountains and/or Hunter Valley wine area. Sydney is a what-you-see-is what you-get kind of place. Culture options are limited. Before you arrive see what's on at the various venues at the Opera House, and the Sydney Theatre Company and Belvoir St Theatre also.

Do yourself a major favour and make a weekend side-trip to Melbourne, Sydney's alter ego... I like the Hatton, a smallish and reasonable boutique hotel in a good spot, or the Westin (more upmarket.) Wotif.com is excellent for late availability hotels.

... and finally I'm sure you know that Sydney in Feb is often hot and humid.