We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to the blue mountains

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to the blue mountains

Hi. Can someone please tell me the tour company they could recommend for a day trip to the Blue Mountains from Sydney? There's so many and I'm not sure which one's best. It is for 2 70something ladies who are pretty spritely but probably wouldn't want too much bushwalking included. Also,any advice on 'not to be missed' things to do while they're in Sydney? They only have 4 days there. Thanks guys!

Mentioned in this post
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
New South Wales, Australia
Rob's Tour
Sightseeing Tours
Blue Ribbon Day Tours - Blue Mountain Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to the blue mountains

I can't recommend one particular name, as I have never travelled on any of them; however, I would recommend that you take a mini-bus tour rather than one of the huge coaches where your two ladies, as one of sixty or seventy, will get lost in the crowd.

I saw one small-group tour in the National Park at Glenbrook only an hour ago; I can't remember the name of the tour, but I did happen to remember the website address printed on the side of the mini-bus, so I just did a search based on this. You might find it useful to check this URL: http://www.tours.com.au/searchresults.asp?TourType=6&Keywords=Blue+Mountains&DestinationID=1&SubDestination=All

Otherwise, if you stay at the Sydney Harbour B&B, it's only a five-minute stroll (well, maybe ten when you're over 70; being a mere 63, I wouldn't know about that) to the Visitors Centre in the Rocks. I bet the friendly lady behind the counter would take one look at your two friends and know exactly which of the tours would be most suitable. As you say, there are lots, so booking way in advance isn't usually necessary.

Among the not-to-be-missed things to do in Sydney would be a walk through the Botanical Gardens (beside the Opera House) and up into historic Macquarie Street. A stroll through the Queen Victoria Building would probably also be a popular choice. Finally -- and most importantly -- a couple of ferry rides around the harbour.

Your friends will have a great time; Sydney really is a lovely city!

hull uk
Level Contributor
41 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to the blue mountains

hi , i can recomend the captain cook coffee cruise which goes i think twice daily from circular quay . it's about 2 1/2 hours trip though the harbour and the various bays , you get a good orientation comentry about the city and it's history and tea and buns ! it's a great way to get amazing views of the harbour and opera house as well as a bit of a tan ! taronga zoo is also a really good trip , you just get a ferry across to the zoo and you can ride up to the entrance in gondolas . if the ladies are young at heart then luna park is an old fashioned fun fair , it's fun just to have a walk round , that again is just a short ferry trip , but it gives some really good veiws of the harbour bridge . if they are felling very spritly when i did the bridge climb we were told that a lady of 100 had recently completed it ! i hope your freinds have a great time !

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to the blue mountains

thankyou thankyou thankyou! Very much appreciated advice from you both. I'll pass on everything to my Mum and her friend and knowing them they'll do ALL of it!

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to the blue mountains

I'm not too long back from Australia.Husband and I, 58 and almost 60 ,took the train into the Blue Mountains.We got the train at Circular Quay where we were staying to Central,and from there to Katoomba in the Blue Mountains.It was a very easy trip to do.The cost was 36 dollars each and included travel on a hop on hop off bus which goes around various sights in the mountains.I would go early as there are lots of places to visit and,we didn't have enough time to see everything.

We also took the Captain Cook coffee tour around the harbour,plenty of photo opportunities but wait 'till the return for the best views of the opera house and harbour bridge.

The Queen Victoria Building was really nice with some really lovely shops.

Hope they have an enjoyable holiday.

Tel
Great Yarmouth U.K
Level Contributor
675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to the blue mountains

hi. I think the two ladies would love a visit to The Chiese Garden of Friendship. Its a place they can sit and relax in lovely surroundings. After that they could spend the rest of the day looking round Darling Harbour with its shops,restaurants, museums or just sit and people watch. The Royal Botanic Gardens situated close to the Opera House would also be a nice gentle walk with some lovely plants and trees and not forgetting the flying fox bats which hang from the trees behind the cafe during the day,quite a sight to see. A trip to Manly by ferry would be good as there is some great scenery on the way and once in Manly they could walk down the Corso towards the beach have a spot of lunch before getting the return ferry (A$12 per person return fare) If you can get The National Geographic Traveler Sydney book it tells you almost everything you need to know when visiting Sydney. I used it all the time while I was there for reference on places to visit and where they were located. Hope this helps and I am sure they will have a good time. Tel

Mentioned in this post
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,294 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
hull uk
Level Contributor
41 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to the blue mountains

hi again ! tel you are right the chinese garden of freinshp is a loverly place to visit ! really peaceful , but just around the corner from darling harbour , it's well worth a visit

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip to the blue mountains

on one of their very active days, the ladies might consider buying a 'day tripper' ticket which is available from the bus driver at a cost of $15/person for a full day of travel on the buses, trains and ferries(within certain limits but most tourists do not venture that far out of sydney so it would not matter in this case). my english visitors made full use of their tickets with a bus trip to circular quay, a ferry ride to manly, a ferry ride to darling harbour, a bus ride back to their hotel for a rest and then another two rides to/from more sightseeing. whew! i feel tired just writing about it...lol.

sydneybuses.info/tickets/visitor_tickets.php