We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney weekend visit...where to STAY?????

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bundaberg, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney weekend visit...where to STAY?????

Trying to decide where to stay in Sydney approx April or early May (but not Easter time). I have a 2year old, my Husband and I like staying at really nice places. I don't like paying top dollar and it is just average. We are having this weekend in Syndey to get some insight for our family Holiday in maybe Sept. I have 2 teenages I wish to bring along then. So we need a place handy to sights...I require a decent nights sleep...not too noisy. I want to be somewhere that is kid friendly....there are so many places to choose from. We are flying in from QLD.

Thanks

Brenda

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,030 posts
1,379 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney weekend visit...where to STAY?????

I love the Park Hyatt in the rocks area. Its very expensive but if you can afford it...then I dont think you will be disappointed as the view is lovely overlooking the opera house and harbour, but ask for waterfront/balcony view. This is close to action for teenages. The other nice hotel is The Four Season - close to circular Quay/city/rocks.All within easy walking distances with plenty of action for kids.Not as intimate as Park Hyatt.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney weekend visit...where to STAY?????

If you want a uniquely "Sydney" experience, I would immediately suggest the Russell, on the corner of Globe St and George St, in the Rocks. It's one of the oldest hotels in Sydney, and it has a location that is second to none (well, when it was built, 160 years ago, they had the choice of wherever they wanted). As you walk out the door, you are looking straight at the ferry wharves, which are no more than two minutes' walk away; the Opera House is straight across the bay, and the entrance to the Harbour Bridge walk is only five minutes' walk. Some rooms (sometimes down around $100 on www.wotif.com)are share bath, so you need to specify the grade of room you require. The Russell has a website where you can see just how elegant this old place is: http://www.australia.travelmall.com/content/hotel_info/Russell+Hotel+The+Rocks--code--54796.html.

If you want an even quieter place, from which you travel by ferry (past the Bridge and the Opera House) to see the main sites (only a ten-minute trip), you might like the Cremorne Point Manor, which is in one of the nicest and leafiest suburbs in Sydney. This B&B boasts water views, but I doubt if this would be from every room, so, once again, specify what you want. The website for Cremorne Point Manor is http://www.cremornepointmanor.com.au/.

Neither of these is, as you will see, a regular "chain" hotel, but each offers an interesting experience, and both are exceptionally good value in this age of overpriced "vanilla" hotels.

If you want a more "regular" place in a fantastic location (just up from the Russell), you can't do better than the Old Sydney Holiday Inn. It's almost opposite the Visitors' Centre, which might be handy if you have only a couple of days to organise things. It's in the Rocks, and only a few minutes' walk from the ferry wharves.

If none of these is what you had in mind, get back with more details and I am sure one of us can come up with something to suit. Good luck!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,865 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney weekend visit...where to STAY?????

My picks are either Quay Grand apartments as it will suit you with teenagers or if you are happy to go with two rooms any of the five stars..Shangri la, Four seasons intercontinental and park hyatt are great. Friends stayed at the observatory a few weks ago and have raved about it ever since but I'm not so sure about it being oriented towards family.

Why Quay grand..the Botanical gardens are right at your door to run around in and you can see all the public transport come and go..free entertainement!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,030 posts
1,379 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney weekend visit...where to STAY?????

G/W suggestion is great for a family...I actually forgot about them, they will suit you

perfectly.Everything at your doorstep..and big enough to accommadate two teenagers in your future trip.If you decide to stay elsewhere this trip maybe ask to see apartments, so you know what you are getting.

I often do this in other cities when planning conferences etc..most hotels dont mind if they are not busy.

Bundaberg, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney weekend visit...where to STAY?????

Hi and Thanks for all your help...I was opting for the Park Hyatt...then my Husband said he wanted the bedroom seperate so our two year old can go to bed without us disturbing her. As we are only taking her this time, I didn't want to go for anything apartment like. I thought the observatory looked gorgeous, but thought it didn't suit a two year old.....she is mischevious.

Soooooo, Hubby has booked the Rydes Jamison...I hope this is nice...we opted for a suite with seperate lounge area. Anyway all booked now...as are our cheap flights. I am going to check out the Quay Grand while there for our return holiday....as we will need at least two rooms then.

Once again thanks.....now all we have to think about is....where to eat....and what to see...hmmmmm!!!!!!????

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney weekend visit...where to STAY?????

What to see? Well, if you don't mind reading thirty-three separate responses, I would direct you to a thread I have just topped for you, called something like "Highlights of Sydney", and started by all_about_eve. It should give you a starting-off point, at least.

Bundaberg, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney weekend visit...where to STAY?????

Thanks Alan....I did read that....I am keen to see the harbour via the public ferry service.Brisbane has a similar arrangement and it is excellent. Is there a city sights tour along those lines...one done by the public bus co. as opposed to the expensive tourist ones? Is getting to Doyles at Watson Bay straight forward. Hubby wants to hire a car, I don't think we will get much use from it for the time we are there.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney weekend visit...where to STAY?????

I don't want to disagree with hubby -- and, since you only come from just up the road, I certainly don't anticipate you'd have any problems with the Sydney driving -- but my own feeling is that a car for a couple of days in Sydney would be more of a hindrance than a help. Nowadays I almost NEVER take my car into the city -- I have not yet tried the cross-city tunnel, for instance -- as I invariably find all the streets have changed direction and access since the previous visit, I do a lot of running around looking for somewhere to park, and when I do find a place to put the car, I have to pay through the nose for the privilege. Yet the public transport system is reasonably efficient, reasonably economical, and reasonably safe, so I make use of it quite frequently.

Best of all, for visitors (and since I actually live in the Blue Mountains, I still get the thrill when visiting Sydney that a visitor experiences), are the ferries. Yes, Watson's Bay is one of the ferries' destinations (the end of the line), and it's a fast and pleasant trip. The ferry stops so close to Doyle's that you could practically order your fish from the deck.