We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hunter Valley Wine Tour - Please Advise!

Sydney
3 posts
Save Topic
Hunter Valley Wine Tour - Please Advise!

Hi all. My wife and I are looking for a wine tour so that we can get a "taste" of the Hunter Valley before our time in Sydney is up. Unfortunately, we do not have a car or more than one day, so we cannot tour on our own and visit all the hidden gems.

Could you please pass on some companies that you have experienced good tours with? We'd love to tour with a company that has a smaller passenger count, good guides, and visits good wineries. Does such a combination exist? Thank in advance for any info you can provide!

Rob

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hunter Valley Wine Tour - Please Advise!

We did this tour in Nov and loved it. We went with a company called Australian Wild escapes. The driver was a guy names Joc very friendly and knowledgable. The tour was suppose to have around 12 people but 2 didnt make it. I also know they do all kinds of other tours as well.

http://www.australianwildescapes.com/

They provided tea and cake at a scenic location above a lake dam and a fantastic lunch. A couple made us late plus there was some kind of emergency drill on the harbour bridge so we had to find a detour but since none of us had plans he called another winery and got us into another one just barely after hours. It was great. Here is the info from our travle agents itinerary.

"Leaving your hotel travel through the historic Rocks area before crossing over the magnificent Sydney Harbour Bridge. We wind our way through the leafy Northern Suburbs, & then escape through the brilliant sandstone outcrops of Ku-ring-gai National Park to reach the mighty Hawkesbury River. We stop for morning tea deep in the bush & then continue on to the historic township of Wollombi, famous for its local brew called Dr Jurd’s Jungle Juice. We stroll through the villages before departing for the Broken Back Range & climb the escarpment to Mt View before descending into the Hunter Valley to begin our wine tasting at a few of the very special boutique wineries in the area. Chat to the owners, admire their cottage locations & let them show off the best of their vintages.

In the foothills of the Broken Back Range, enjoy lunch & spend the afternoon visiting some of the larger vineyards for more superb wine tastings. As the afternoon approaches return to Sydney via the scenic freeway to conclude this relaxing and enjoyable day."

Hope this helps.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,209 posts
1,448 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hunter Valley Wine Tour - Please Advise!

Dragonflylady : this is excellent advice..there is no better advice than when someone has actually experienced the tour.

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hunter Valley Wine Tour - Please Advise!

Dragonfly - this is what I would have suggested - lovely company - Aussie owned and operated - they use great vehicles and guides are top stuff. You will pay top dollar so definately not a budget trip, but you will get your money's worth compared to those nasty big bus companies.

Another you might look in to is Mount'n'Beach Safaris. A bit less, but a few more people

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hunter Valley Wine Tour - Please Advise!

We just got back from Sydney and did our Hunter Valley Wine Tour with FJTours, so don't know if this advice is too late for you.

You can read about the Hunter Valley tour at their website http://www.fjtours.com.au/ourtours_j14.htm where you can check out their other tours as well.

We had a really nice time with FJTours, our group was around 14, and our driver was very knowledgable about the area as well as wine making in general. We stopped off at the little town of Wollombi for coffee/breakfast in the morning, did tastings at 3 great wineries, had a wonderful lunch at one of them, and we also had time at the end of the day to do some shopping in the little town where there were great shops for chocolate, cheese, and gifts. You could also choose to take the Hunter Valley Garden tour for another $15, but we didn't since we were tired by the end of the day. The tour was very reasonable compared to some of the others we looked at, plus if you booked two tours with them, such a Blue Mountains tour and a Hunter Valley tour, it's a great deal at $190 for both. I don't think they mention this offer on their website, but they do offer it in some of their brochures. I would just call and ask them about this offer. We had a great experience with them and would definitely recommend them to others.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hunter Valley Wine Tour - Please Advise!

We were in the Hunter Valley just before Christmas. My daughter is quite a wine afficianado and had very definite ideas on which wineries she wanted to go to. She checked some of the tours and was not thrilled with the list of wineries. In the end we booked the Aussie Wine Explorer bus which you get from the Central Railway station at a reasonable cost and it took us up to our accommodations in the Hunter Valley. Then booked the Wine Rover to take us around to the wineries while were there. They will come to your hotel and take you to any wineries you want and pick you up later, all for $20 a day. Its a hop on hop off thing, so you need to plan it but we had an excellent driver (Maori from NZ) who always worked with our plans and was back to pick us up in a reasonable time. I would recommend this, as it lets you choose the wineries you visit.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hunter Valley Wine Tour - Please Advise!

sgreenstone,

can you tell us which wineries you visited? which ones you liked?

I'd be curious to know for my next visit to HV.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hunter Valley Wine Tour - Please Advise!

Hi Foo world traveller,

Keep in mind this is just our preferences but here are some suggestions:

(It was more the convenience of going in the order I wanted and spending the amount of time we wanted etc and missing major ones) . But I would recommend:

Brokenwood

Drayton Family

Reg Drayton- (Port especially)

McWilliams mount Pleasant

Tower Estate

We missed Rosemount, Tyrells and Lindemanns simply because these wines are so widely available

Also went to Ivan Hoe and McGuillans

And would have liked to get to De Bortoli ,Pepper Tree and Tuscany Wine Estate but did not. Another friend recommended Moorebank.

And if you want instructive tourism- Hermitage Road Cellars for wine school etc

And apparently McWilliams is highly recommended for a meal- lunch

Also the Polbolkin Village has a collective wine shop which pours some wines from some of smaller wineries that you might normally miss.

Check out www.winecountry.com.au

Email info@winecountry.com.au

Suggest seeing if they can send out The Hunter valley Wine country Visitors Guide 2005 to you, its very helpful and has info on wineries, accommodation, attractions, restaurants etc.

Hope this helps.