We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need a little advice

sonoma, ca
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
need a little advice

Hi,

thanks for all of the great tips on this forum....you have been a great source of info.

We are about to leave DEC 24 for a 70 day trip to Oz and NZ with our two kids 5 and 22 and the 22's bfriend. we had to make a few last minute changes and will be doing the OZ part of the trip first. I am having a very hard time getting a car to accomodate all of us at this short notice. Have tried most agencies and either sold out or over $100 per day.

We are staying at the Wentworth for the first two days and don't really need a car, but will after that. Any suggewstions?

thanks so much

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,121 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need a little advice

You might just be stuck with the expensive price tag. Even the large sedans are over 100 a day once you up the insurance cover (wise if you're driving in Sydney). My advice, would be to go for comfort in your vehicle over price if at all possible. Distances here can be long and your comfort level makes all the difference, especially with a little one in tow.

...70 days...way to go! You must be so excited!!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need a little advice

Which way are you heading after you leave Sydney? You could always pack up your bags and check out of the hotel, but ask the concierge to look after your bags till you collect them later in the day. Then hop a train to one of the day-trip places you wanted to see (as an example, the Blue Mountains), and hire a car while you're in one of these outlying areas. The Blue Mountains rental company is called Redicar, and you can pick up a car from them at Valley Heights (they call it their Springwood branch), between Sydney and Katoomba, on your way back from a day in the Mountains. Then just drive back to Sydney (only an hour on the motorway), collect your bags from the hotel, and continue either north, south, or west (it's a bit hard to go east by car). I guess it's a bit of mucking around, but if you can save money every day you have the car, it might be worth it.

Redicar's website is www.Redicar.com.au .

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
Katoomba
Katoomba
Blue Mountains, Australia
Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need a little advice

Hi4,

2 suggestions. I've used www.airportrentacar.com.au in Sydney as they are very competitive. Their web site seems to indicate they have a Ford Falcon Wagon for available AUD$60.00 to 70.00 a day (big family car should seat 5 comfortably). You need to check on their web site as it requires personal details to confirm availability & bookings.

Otherwise google car rentals australia or Sydney and check the sites of some of the smaller companies, as Budget, Avis etc do seem to be booked out. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need a little advice

Hi Me Again

I just checked the Hertz site and they are saying they have full size cars available out of Sydney - city office at really good rates. I went in via www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au but you can get even better rates by just using www.hertz.com Make sure you put in your palce of residence as USA as this drops the price for some reason.

Back to work for me now!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
sonoma, ca
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need a little advice

hey sydneysiders....thanks for all the great tips...maybe I can repay if you are ever in US....IF we decide to go back. I'll let you know what we come up with.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,136 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need a little advice

Not trying to be horrible..do not book a falcon...great for interior passenger room..lousy for boot space..we could not fit our 3 bags into the rear..we'd had a Toyota mid size the day before we changed locations from Ayer rock to cairns and they fit comfortably in there.

have a look at some sites that are aimed at long term rentals ..perhaps www.globalcars.com.au

sonoma, ca
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need a little advice

thanks...we have limited ourselves to one suitcase each, but that is still 5 bags and with a 5 year old you always need more room...carseat ect.

some sites had good rates, but do not want you to take the car out of NSW and we plan to do it all

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,136 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need a little advice

How about looking at a wagon (estate) vehicle...give you plenty of room for 5 bags etc.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need a little advice

With the size of your group I think guruswife suggestion is a good one.The station wagon from globalcars at the moment is about $A75 per day.

Just remember that the first month you are here are our summer holidays and the schools are all out.Accommodation at beach towns may get scarce and pricey.

Also is your itinerary set.Sometimes it is better to fly between cities-it is not too expensive.You can compare the airlines on www.flightcentre.com.au

Just looking at wed,11th january it will cost $A91 sydney to maroochydore on the sunshine coast.Midweek is always cheaper.

PS guruswife I hope your daughters birthday party has been able to go ahead although news reports did not look hopeful.Wish her happy birthday anyway.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need a little advice

We always hire a Tarrago as there are 7 of us- bags of room and a comfortable drive.