We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Harrogate, UK
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay?

Hi, Am in Sydney from 25th - 29th Jan so am looking forward to some Australia Day action and a bit of exploring. Can you tell me where a good place to stay is. I'm 28, travelling solo, don't want to share a room with anyone, would like to meet others about the place and don't want to spend more than $100AUS a night. I've been told that Darling Harbour would be the best location although I'm open to suggestions! Thanks

Bargara, Australia
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

I remember seeing a very nice upmarket type of Backpackers in Oxford Street they had own rooms etc.It wasn't to far to walk to Darling harbour or to Bridge.Perhaps someone else may reply from Sydney or google backpackers, they do say oxford st is very lively at night!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,191 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

The Y is a good location and they do have ensuite rooms. I'm unusre of the current rate.

Jan 25th could be a little hard to find accom becuase it's our National Holiday on the 26th.

Consider some options around Potts Point or even pehaps Cremorne Point manor.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,297 posts
1,478 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

Budget Accommodation – Sydney

Y on the Park www.ywca-sydney.com.au

Railway Square YHA www.yha.org.au

Wake Up- www.wake-up.com.au

Formula 1 Kings Cross

www.formula1.com.au

Wattle House

www.wattlehouse.com.au

Noahs Bondi

www.noahsbondibeach.com.au

Billabong Gardens - Newtown

www.billabonggardens.com.au

Grand National Hotel -Paddington

02 9363 3096

Manly Bungalow

www.manlybungalow.com

Waldorf - Woolloomooloo

www.woolloomooloo-waldorf-apartments.com.au

Clarks Clovelly

Sinclair of Bondi – Backpackers

Indys Backpackers – Bondi

Ultimate Apartments – Bondi Beach (new)

+61 (02)293657969

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

You are coming to Sydney at a great time -- as Guruswife pointed out, above, Jan 26 is our national day, and Sydney will be full of holiday activities, outdoor concerts, water sports on the harbour, and the inevitable fireworks. The "down" side of this, as far as you are concerned, will be the pressure on accommodation, which might make it a bit more difficult for you to find accommodation at the price you want than would normally be the case.

Darling Harbour has a lot of hotels, but their prices are fairly high in times of peak tourist flow, and your chances of a room under $AUD100 would not, I'd imagine, be very strong (I hope you can prove me wrong); I'm wondering if your best bet might be to try for a room at the Grand in Hunter Street. This is an upmarket pub, quite an historic old building in a good area only seven minutes' walk from the harbour (frankly, I'd prefer this area to Darling Harbour any day); but it often has vacancies because, as a pub, it offers rooms with share bath. If that's not too big a turn-off for you, you would probably find their rates even less than you're prepared to pay (I think a single room is around $AUD80).

Check this website to see if you like what you see (if not, there's a link to another hotel in Double Bay which might also make a reasonable budget choice -- but this one is away from the CBD in a residential area, and you'd need to travel by ferry or bus to get into the city proper): …citysearch.com.au/E/…1.html.