We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Presents to purchase from Australia and has Costco opened?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
163 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Presents to purchase from Australia and has Costco opened?

We're planning to go to Australia in a few weeks, right before the US holiday season. Can anyone suggest some good present ideas to bring back from Australia (e.g. buying kona coffee from Hawaii). Any good ideas, such as olive oils or spices, or fancy chocolates or cookies, that you can only easily get in Australia? I know that Australia has good wine, but I've heard that you can get most of it at comparable prices in the US - so not worth lugging all those bottles back.

Also, has Costco opened in Sydney yet? If not, can anyone recommend a similar type of store in Sydney where you can get great stuff to bring back at a discount?

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Presents to purchase from Australia and has Costco opened?

Ugg boots are the absolute must have fashion accessory in UK at the moment.

uk
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Presents to purchase from Australia and has Costco opened?

Does anyone know which brands of childrens shoes/sandels are comparable to Clakes or Startrite ect? We are travelling to Syndey in April and our local (small) shoe shop said that they won't have many children's summer shoes in stock at that point of the year.

Would I get a better selection in Syndey in April. How much would I expect to pay for a branded pair (roughly)?

If they were giving away Ugg boots for free, don't think I would wear them! My dumpy little legs wouldn't do them justice. I love the idea of sheepskin booties for kiddies of all ages though!

Thanks guys

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Presents to purchase from Australia and has Costco opened?

You will have very little chance of locating summer sandals in April (this is a voice of experience ..I've had to try and buy my daughter summer sandals in April each year for us to go to the UK summer..LOL) Thought I'd try earlier this year so we actually went shoping for sandals last week and there were very few left and we came home emptyhanded!

We have Clarks shoes (mostly around the 70-80AUD) depending on the size. There is a clarks outlet at Tempe i think but is only open certain days (more research requiredfor me!) Avoid Candy (not well made)

The best places to try fro good kids shoes are "Shoes n Sox" and David Jones either at Bondi Junction or City. (There may be another children's shoe store in Bondi Junction (I hope to check it out today)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Presents to purchase from Australia and has Costco opened?

Yes, have to agree it will be hard buying summer sandals in April. I suggest you bring them with you..so not to be disappointed.

Fremantle, Western...
Level Contributor
681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Presents to purchase from Australia and has Costco opened?

I wish we had Costco here. We have something similar called FAL.

I agree with the others about the sandals.

I also wish we had Ross Dress for Less!!!!

uk
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Presents to purchase from Australia and has Costco opened?

Thanks for the replies on the sandels issue. Can anyone direct me to a thread regarding what to see and do while in Sydney for a few days with 2 small children?

I have searched the forums but don't seem to be able to find anything.

Tel
Great Yarmouth U.K
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Presents to purchase from Australia and has Costco opened?

Hi katlen

Take a look at gdaysydney.com/kids.html This will give you some ideas. Tel

uk
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Presents to purchase from Australia and has Costco opened?

Thanks Tel, I'll do that!