We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Anywhere with Schoolies - help needed!!!

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Avoid Anywhere with Schoolies - help needed!!!

Can anyone please recommend fun places to go from nov 20 - dec 5 that will allow me to avoid schoolie week?

i didn't know about this party time and have already booked to go to australia.

any recommedations are welcome.

i.e. fraser island? airlie beach? whitsundays?

tx!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid Anywhere with Schoolies - help needed!!!

fraser island shouldn't be too bad because it is a national park and there isn't much to interest schoolies. avoid the main areas of the gold coast (ie; surfers and broadbeach), sunshine coast (mooloolaba, noosa, maroochydore), stradbroke island, moreton island (at the camp site more than the resort), great kepple island.... if you have a look at the website

2005.schoolies.com/

www.breakfree.com.au

airlie beach is one of the official destinations so i would avoid it.

you can skip schoolies by staying off the tourist trail. schoolies is held in the big tourist destinations because they are the only ones who can cope with the numbers. look for small towns along the coast.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,041 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid Anywhere with Schoolies - help needed!!!

Lord Howe Island? Its further south, a two hour flight from Brisbane or Sydney but has both coral reefs and surf beaches, rainforests, excellent fishing and is world heritage listed. Limited numbers of tourists at any one time..only fairly small main form of transport is walking or cycling. Not known for the nightlife, doesn't run as high a profile as most of the schoolies destinations.

You won't have a problem in any part of your trip that's in the big cities, such as Sydney and Melbourne. To the best of my knowledge schoolies has minimal impact from NSW midnorth coast and southward...this is where they're all coming from to head north LOL.

Sorry can't comment on the queensland areas you're specifically interested in.

Toronto
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid Anywhere with Schoolies - help needed!!!

tx snodge. much appreciated.

still want to have fun and meet people...just people over 25. will be solo for most of it.

any suggestions with minimal impact from NSW midnorth coast and southward?

sorry don't know the place that well :)

toronto
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid Anywhere with Schoolies - help needed!!!

...when are schoolies officially gone/over?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid Anywhere with Schoolies - help needed!!!

MOst schoolies go to Surfers/Byron Bay/cruise ships...so other places on coast will be okay

whitsundays will be fine as too expensive for teenagers.

Sydney or Melbourne

Coolangatta - not as crowded as Surfers.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid Anywhere with Schoolies - help needed!!!

Airlie beach officially has schoolies from Nov 19th to 26 with special events including free movies and buses bands and dance parties..

I know of at least two groups from my sons high school who are going to Hamilton Island.. most of the kids have part time jobs so have been saving for quite a while.. or their parents want hem away from cruises and the GC.

Port macquarie NSW coast is offering B.B.Q nights, DJs, party cruises and range of other activities at a free or discounted rate by local tour operators, bars and restaurants. We got caught here driving back from near Byron a few years ago in Nov..

Coffs harbour has beach parties etc planned..

The Sunshine coast has attempted to accumulate the schoolies in one spot at mooloolaba so you could try Noosa or the opposite caloundra end, fraser island is not included

magnetic island (further north) has a full schoolies program..

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid Anywhere with Schoolies - help needed!!!

officially schoolies ends around the 26th/27th, but a lot of kids do what we did and stay the extra week after the main celebrations end

Toronto
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoid Anywhere with Schoolies - help needed!!!

tx everyone.

i was really getting nervous and was thinking about cancelling/delaying my trip so i could visit the places i wanted. travelling solo so going to secluded places isn't really on my plan. so let's see yes and no places include:

YES

fraser island

whitsundays

sydney

melbourne

cairns?? (is this not schoolie?)

airlie beach (only after nov 27)

NO

surfers & broadbeach, sunshine coast (mooloolaba, noosa, maroochydore), stradbroke island, moreton island, great kepple island..

byron bay (damn, i was really hoping to go!)

airlie beach - possible after the 26th?

any other fun suggestions welcome.

question. airlie beach, if you go on a sailing trip are you ok since won'y be high school?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoid Anywhere with Schoolies - help needed!!!

thats about right. the big cities are fine, and anywhere inland is fine. the schoolies festival is very much a coast based thing. it is only some area of the gold coast and sunshine coast that are a problem.... unfortunately they are also the main tourist areas. where ever you plan to go call or email and ask them if they are participating in schoolies... if they are try to find somewhere that isn't.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoid Anywhere with Schoolies - help needed!!!

Hamilton Is, which GW mentioned, is in the Whitsundays, so I don't think they can get an unqualified OK.

But would I be wrong in assuming that it would be okay to go somewhere that might have schoolies going, as long as they aren't planning official activities? Would the kids going here be more responsible, just looking for some relaxation like any average tourist?