We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Superannuation - the best fund for travellers?

6 posts
Save Topic
Superannuation - the best fund for travellers?

Hi All!!

I have been doin my research on workin in Australia and know that I will have to pay 9% of my wages to a Superannuation fund but can claim this back when I leave.

Appaently, according to what I read it is best to go for a fund with a low exit fee.

Does anyone know a good fund for travellers to use. Low exit rate and decent return?

Thanks so much for your help with this!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Superannuation - the best fund for travellers?

Maybe try Virgin? Richard Branson has his fingers in a lot of pies over here!


Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Superannuation - the best fund for travellers?

The best funds are the industry funds - low fees, no entry/exit and good returns. See www.industryfunds.org.au for choice.

Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Superannuation - the best fund for travellers?

hi lilmissy

i guess you are coming over here on a working holiday visa.

i am living in melbourne at the moment and have been here for 9months now.

little bit of advice.. Lets say you plan to stay in sydney for most of your year working in your 3 month contracts!!! and renting with other people, after 6 months of working and living in the same area of australia, you can put that you are a RESIDENT for TAX purposes on your tax forms when you start a new job, which means you dont have to pay the massive 30% tax rate, instead you pay what everyone else pays.

This only works if you work in one area for most of the year and holiday to places rather than travel for months on end. So work and save loads of money and travel at end of stay all over OZ!

Saves you heaps.

Or you can just apply for tax back when you get to ireland.