We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stop on drive between Sydney & Gold Coast

delta bc
Level Contributor
105 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stop on drive between Sydney & Gold Coast

We are thinking of renting a car to drive from Sydney to Brisbane with a couple of stopovers. What location would be best between Sdy & Gold Coast? Thinking of doing a kayak day tour on GC & maybe Outback show.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stop on drive between Sydney & Gold Coast

some suggest the coffs harbour area as it's half way. i like woolgoolga just to the north.

my suggestion is southwest rocks/scotts head/nambucca and then yamba.

byron bay is also a tourist icon but can be depressingly crowded.

Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stop on drive between Sydney & Gold Coast

Port Macquarie is a great place to stop. 4.5 to 5 hours north of Sydney. You will have to turn off to the coast but the drive in about 30 mins in. Nice beaches and alot of accommodation. Foster is nice and also Byron Bay is popular among back packers. Lots of shopping a stunning beaches.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stop on drive between Sydney & Gold Coast

What is best depends on what you are looking for- small town, big town, coastal, hinterland.... there are many options.

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
523 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stop on drive between Sydney & Gold Coast

I did the Outback Show when I home exchanged in Brisbane and loved it. Disney has something called the Buffalo Bill Wild West Show (really funny if you see it with French people at Eurodisney). The concept for the Outback Show really is adapted from that. Of course the "plot" was changed to reflect Outback themes instead of cowboys and Indians. I highly recommend it especially to foreigners who are not going to spend much time in the Outback (which includes almost all of them) if they are up in that area.

I did not visit any of the amusement parks. We have plenty of those in the US that I don't visit now that the kids are grown.

I also liked the Mt. Tambourine area and Lemington National Park. Heck, I got to see a wild kangaroo crossing the road coming down from O'Reilly's. Probably no big deal if you are an Aussie, but kangaroos do not cross the road in the US. We have deer--and they can total your car (and you) just like the kangaroos can.

On the other hand, Aussies can't get enough of the squirrels in the US. We have way more of them than we have people. It is a yawn to the natives.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stop on drive between Sydney & Gold Coast

I agree with Lien re South West Rocks - great beach and Trial Bay Gaol at the other end of it, makes for a lovely (long) beach walk and the area itself isn't overdeveloped (yet....) Wonder if the cafe at Arakoon (near the gaol) is still as good as it was a few years back.....kangaroos grazing on the lawn below while you partake of tea and scones (or whatever). Don't attempt during school holidays though.....it's chocka.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stop on drive between Sydney & Gold Coast

Hi,

Check out Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour and Byron Bay.

But really it's easily done with 1 stop near Coffs Harbour.

delta bc
Level Contributor
105 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stop on drive between Sydney & Gold Coast

Thank you all so much for all the great ideas. I am looking into Port Mcquarie & South West Rocks as somewhere fairly quiet with great beaches would be way to wind down after the drive. It may be stressful for us as it'll be the "wrong" side of the road so not very relaxing. lol.

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
679 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stop on drive between Sydney & Gold Coast

Port Stephens, Port Macquarie, Yamba, Byron Bay

Leicester
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stop on drive between Sydney & Gold Coast

I am also looking to make this drive in the new year, how long roughly does it take to get from Sydney to the Gold Coast?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stop on drive between Sydney & Gold Coast

straight thru about 10 hours.