We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three days in November - what to do?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Three days in November - what to do?

After spending 5 days in and around Cairns (Daintree, GBR diving, Kuranda), my husband and I will be arriving in Sydney on the 25th at about 5pm.

We have not yet decided on where to stay, though Holiday Inn Old Sydney and Harbour B&B look nice. We're trying to not spend more than A$200/night for accomodations.

We have to be at a wedding in Manly at 5pm on the 27th. We leave Sydney at 3:30pm on the 28th.

So, what should we do?

Nov 25 - check into accommodation/dinner. Is there a good place for an evening stroll or shopping in the evening?

Nov 26 - Should we try to do Blue Mountains/Jenolan Caves? Should we try to get to Featherdale?

Nov 27 - Tour Manly. Should we do Oceanworld - seeing as we will already have been out on a 3day liveaboard on GBR? Should we take bathingsuits and towels for the beach?

Nov 28 - Will we have time to see Taronga Zoo before our 3:30 flight?

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three days in November - what to do?

You really don't have a lot of time at your disposal for undertaking any long trips, such as Jenolan Caves.... even the Blue Mountains is stretching things a little. If I were you, I'd make Sydney Harbour the centre of my activities: walk across the bridge and take a ferry back from the Luna Park wharf; catch another ferry to Darling Harbour and look around there (some nice museums and the Aquarium). Maybe a third ferry out to Watson's Bay for lunch at Doyle's (right at the ferry wharf), where (legend has it) Russell Crowe once worked as a waiter. Taronga Zoo -- also reached by ferry-- is lovely at this time of the year, and you'd enjoy the view even if the animals kept getting in the way!

I don't really think I would put Manly's Oceanworld very high on my list of must-dos. However, it would be a pity to take a November trip to Manly and not have your bathing suits... there are several beaches and rock pools to choose from.

Any spare time you have in Sydney after all that should just be spent in walking around, and getting to know the city.... the Rocks area, the Opera House, the Botanical Gardens, the Queen Victoria Building, and historic Macquarie Street. It's a good walking city, and you are coming at a fine time of the year!

Have a great visit!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three days in November - what to do?

Yep AlanJ's spot on with that advice. Give the mountains and Oceanworld a miss. Keep close in and see your cute and cuddlies at Taronga if you won't be doing that up north, as Alan says the views of the harbour are as good as the animals.

You're arriving on a Friday night, so why not wander down around the rocks, find a nice looking restaurant for dinner and

then wander about on the harbour via public ferry (you'll need a warm jacket). You've got to see the harbour at night.

Also, you might be interested in the new skywalk just opened at Sydney tower, it's got some sort of fancy wizz bangery, but bottom line, panoramic views of sydney, higher than top of the harbour bridge and way less exertion.

If you're going to a wedding there and as you're here for a very short time, have you considered basing yourselves at Manly, it's a very pleasant ferry ride or speedy jet cat into the city, and would fit in with a harbour based itinerary rather well, it would also make it a lot easier making time for a swim and other sightseeing at Manly.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three days in November - what to do?

I will also be visiting on the same day. It sounds likely you will be on the same flight with Jetstar from Cairns if you are arriving at 5pm! I would go along with all the ideas suggested, lunch up the tower is always a good idea, it gives great views. Although do not do what I did and pay to go up and then decide to eat. If you eat the lift is included in the price. All sites around the city are easily accessable, I always think walking around Darling Harbour in the evening is always pleasant. A shopping centre is located next to the harbour. Enjoy your trip may see you in the air!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three days in November - what to do?

Is it any less expensive to stay in Manly?

We are flying JetBlue, not Jetstar (ar are they the same?) out of Cairns. I'll look into the tower - sounds like fun!

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three days in November - what to do?

It's Virgin Blue.Just stick to the usual touristy places like Manly,Bondi and the harbour.You could do the Blue Mountains but it'd be a long day.

Cheers