We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menzies prblem hotel

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Menzies prblem hotel

This weekend I stayed at the Menzies Hotel near Winyard station as I do every time I stay in Sydney. NEVER AGAIN!

On Sunday night another couple were booked into the same room as us, we checked in at 1pm they checked in at 9pm. They were given an electronic key and were told that they were also in this room. While we were in bed they were able to enter our room.This was very disturbing and we are very unhappy about it.

To the credit of the hotel we were given free breakfast and a bottle of wine, but I still feel uneasy. The reason people relax and enjoy a hotel stay in a good hotel is that they can relax and enjoy the surrounds and still feel safe and secure.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Menzies prblem hotel

I recall that the same thing happened to me, once (but not, of course, in the Menzies!); and, when all the fuss had settled down and the interloper had been relocated, I discovered that my bag was missing! The hotel promised to look into it and get back onto me.... but they closed down before I ever got a reply.

I certainly hope that doesn't happen to the Menzies, which has been a respected hotel in Sydney for as long as I can remember. I guess this goes to show that foul-ups can happen, even in the best of places. I am glad that they were eager to make amends, and sorry (but not surprised) that this has turned you off this well-located hotel for future visits. It's a loss to both of you.

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Menzies prblem hotel

I have bought a doorstop to take with me on holiday.Only once has somebody walked into my room and that was on an overnight ferry to France.My husband thinks it's a great idea,and will stop staff walking into the room whilst he's having a nap.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Menzies prblem hotel

I am yet to see a hotel room which does not have an internal doorlock.. safety chain..why wasn't this on the door?

Guru had this happen in Disneyworld except he was the one walking into the wrong room..100 rooms per floor all painted like beach changing rooms with stripes on the door..