We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do little Sydnesiders celebrate Halloween?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
290 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
How do little Sydnesiders celebrate Halloween?

HI All! My family will be in Sydney during Halloween. I have an 1.5 year old toddler. I was wondering what can we do for Halloween. Would like to take her trick or treating or to a Halloween children's party or something.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,121 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: How do little Sydnesiders celebrate Halloween?

yes, that's a point, and as you say last thing we need in the run up to christmas is another event.

....spotted a party of four teenage witch type folk on the way home from the station today....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,136 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: How do little Sydnesiders celebrate Halloween?

I'll add to this the group of teenage masked trick or treaters who walked down our street this evning and deliberately broke off every flower head in the street as they went.... when an elderly neighbour asked what they were doinmg they replied Halloween you silly old b... trick.... this is the first time we;ve had this sort of vandalism in the street..

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: How do little Sydnesiders celebrate Halloween?

I guess there are teenagers everywhere who will use any excuse to be delinquent?

For such a commercial holiday, the stores are frustratingly empty this year. I've been hunting all weekend for something good to hand out tonight. But since this is the best weather we've had in years, everyone is expecting a great turnout, and the store stock is quiet depleted.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,121 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: How do little Sydnesiders celebrate Halloween?

Looks like controversy re Halloween isn't confined to this thread. One of the major Sydney newspapers has a letter argument on the subject of Halloween too. They run a survey (that statistically is a total joke of course) but I though you might get a laugh from the results of yesterdays topic:

Question: [reader] believes that Halloween is an alien tradition to Australians and desensitises them to evil. Is she right?

Yes 77 (81%)

No 18 (19%)

Certainly I know my mother and sister are firmly in the yes camp...part of the religious right referred to earlier...

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: How do little Sydnesiders celebrate Halloween?

Must admit I am surprised how anti Halloween you all are over there- this has been a very interesting thread- thanks to Hotmamma if she is still around, I wonder what she thinks?

us
Level Contributor
252 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: How do little Sydnesiders celebrate Halloween?

Postmortem: Oxford st had many shops with elaborate Halloween window displays (although it was hard to view with the massive street construction). A newspaper announced a school in Balmain was having another big annual Halloween celebration for kids - possibly the closest Sat evening. Balmain has frequent ferry connections even going after midnight, but walking from the wharf is so hilly you may want to use a bus (one leaves from QVB)

Funny to hear H'ween framed as US cultural imperialism. Where I live it is most strongly celebrated by recent immigrants, esp Filipinos, who make it sort of a celebration of family life. Dress the kids up esp in princess or angel costumes (with wings) and parade around - no tricks or treats involved. There's no "push" of this from the half-hearted oldtimers; just wildly enthusiastic "pull" and redefinition by newcomers to the practices...

If I were to name a bad customery US celebration to adopt, it would be the drunken St Patricks day. This organized mayhem did not originate in Ireland, although I hear it it spreading to there... hope not Oz or elsewhere...

Mentioned in this post
Balmain
Balmain
Sydney, Australia
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: How do little Sydnesiders celebrate Halloween?

Well we in UK are barely allowed to celebrate our patron saint St Georges day- Chinese New Year, Divali etc are all fine. In some boroughs even Christmas lights have now to be known as Winter lights incase other religions are offended.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,121 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: How do little Sydnesiders celebrate Halloween?

That's a bit over the top isn't it! The kind of ridiculous overly zealous PCness that ends up in backlash.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: How do little Sydnesiders celebrate Halloween?

You are right Snodge- it causes resentment instead of encouraging tolerance for all religions and nationalities.