We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days needed in your opinion?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
207 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
How many days needed in your opinion?

My husband really wants to go to Australia, but our time frame is limited (we can go May - mid-August). Flights from New York are relatively inexpensive in May, but how many days are needed to see Sydney/Sydney area? Will it be too cold to sit on the beach in May?

This is kind of a spur of the moment thing - so we may be completely crazy for even trying to leave in just a couple months. But, hey, you only live once, right?!?

Thanks for any advice!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
207 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days needed in your opinion?

Sorry - I should add that we are late 20s and love sight-seeing, good food, and good wine :)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,136 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days needed in your opinion?

This is one of those questions like "how long is a piece of string".

The typical advice is that you can see the absolutely must sees of Sydney and surrounds in just a few days, however you can come and spend a couple of weeks or more and still be exploring great stuff. Most commonly though, after coming such a long way, people tend to just spend a few days in Sydney and surrounds and head off elsewhere - like the Great Barrier Reef or Southern Queensland, Great Ocean Road in Victoria and so on.

May - Aust is our winter as you probably realise, so that means peak season in the north of the continent, low season in the south.

Sydney's rain is not concentrated at any particular time of year, so it's even money whether you'd get beautiful clear sunny winter days. Too cold for most locals in Sydney to swim during winter...but on a nice day you can still have a lovely time walking and sitting on the beach.

However, Far North Queensland ie Great Barrier Reef (GBR) is the place to go for a beach locale in Aus at that time of year.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,229 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days needed in your opinion?

My advice would be 2 full days for Sydney + 1 for the Blue Mountains (day trip from Sydney)..

Weather can still be quite warm, so a paddle & walk along the beach is still possible (as it is in the middle of winter)...rain varies from a little to a lot !

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-c1162/Sydney:…

http://www.sydney.com/Sydney_p934.aspx

smh.com.au/travel/a-perfect-48-hours-in-sydn…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g255058-d2…

www.sydney.com/area/Blue_Mountains.aspx

http://www.australia.com/index.aspx

bom.gov.au/climate/…cw_066062.shtml

Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days needed in your opinion?

You won't be disappointed by your decision to come to Australia!

If you go to places like Manly (a short ferry trip along a spectacular harbour), you can stroll the beach, perhaps go for a bracing swim (this is Sydney is early winter, not NY in winter!), go for bushwalk along the edge of the harbour or up to North Head, and have a great meal at a beachfront restaurant.

About 100 miles north of Sydney is the Hunter Valley - a great wine growing area, accessible as a day trip or worthy of an overnight stay. Good food, good wine.

The Blue Mountains are easily accessible and you sould spend many days there. Will be cool in May, but probably not cold. Some interesting shops, many great sights and walks, good restaurants.

As others suggest, maybe look to flying up to Cairns for a few days...even do the return trip to Sydney via the Red Centre (Alice Springs and Uluru).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
755 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days needed in your opinion?

For beach-sitting, I'd concentrate on being up North (Queensland) at that time of year. You could be lucky & get some days warm enough to sit on a beach in Sydney, but too cold to swim. Spend your time in Sydney catching a ferry or two on the harbour, Taronga Zoo, eating relatively cheaply in some great restaurants, perhaps some coastal walks, climb the Harbour Bridge, maybe go to the Art Galleries - AGNSW, Brett Whiteley Studio, Museum of Contemporary Art in Circular Quay (which has an excellent Aboriginal Art collection), take in a show at the Sydney Opera House (which has all sorts of shows from reggae to opera)...

It's a big city, & while I & many others love our home town, most tourists who come to Australia are more interested in the ancient landscape (such as Uluru/desert area), spectacular scenery (rainforests, tropical islands, the biggest coral reef on Earth, deserted beaches), & the like. Sydney is definitely worth a visit for at least a few days, but have a think about your priorities, & how you'll be getting around while you're here (It's a country roughly the same size as the USA).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,043 posts
1,936 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days needed in your opinion?

hi Jos,

" our time frame is limited " - How limited ??

Coming from NY I would recommend at least 4 days in Sydney.

The usual tourist route is

Sydney - 4 / Uluru 2 / Cairns. 4 T

his gives you a city experience / Outback / Beaches / Rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef experiences.

Nth Qld would be lovely in May. Sydney is getting chilly and its too cold for swimming. However, you can still enjoy our beautiful harbour and beaches by sailing / ferry rides / walks along the beaches.

Sydney also has some fabulous caostal walks along the foreshore of Sydney Harbour.

www.qantas.com.au www.virginblue.com.au www.jetstar.com.au - for deals www.webjet.com.au also look into the aussie-pass.

qantas.com.au/regions/dyn/am/specials/us/aus…

Parramatta...
Level Contributor
394 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days needed in your opinion?

Hi jos,

May is late autumn ( we don't call it 'fall' because native trees here don't drop their leaves - so nothing falls). June, July, August are winter. We never, ever get snow in Sydney and EVERYONE whinges about the cold if the mercury drops below 15c as a maximum. We're a bit soft when it comes to the cold.

Are you planning to go anywhere else besides Sydney on your trip and how long will your holiday be?

It certainly wont be too cold in May to sit on the beach ........ but if you actually wanted to get wet too ...... well there are some die hards who swim & surf all year. The water isn't 'freezing' but as I said, we are sooks when it comes to the cold: generally speaking, we don't handle it at all well.

The up side is that there's less sharks about at that time of year too.

May is perfect for wandering about & exploring. No heat. No humidity. No files.

And you're right, life is too short. The world is too big. There's so much to see and do, so take this opportunity and run with it.

cheers

sydney
Level Contributor
404 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days needed in your opinion?

We don't call it Fall because we (or some of us) try not to speak American English. Australian English is quite good enough, thank you!!

Re the question re the weather. Not only does it vary from year to year - could be 24C or 25C on any given day even in May - what is "sitting on a beach" weather varies from person to person. You might find it perfectly comfortable; I might find it much too cold; and my 80 odd year old Mum would find it unbearably hot.

You get my gist?

Excellent advice from all respondents so far. If you are coming all this way do consider a second location - not two or three more - just one other would add enormously, I'm sure, to your overall impression of what is a very big land.

Great to see someone doing something at short notice. Like you say, you only live once!

Cheers.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
207 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days needed in your opinion?

Wow - thank you so much for all the wonderful responses.

As far as time being limited - I meant that when we can go is limited (only between May - Aug). As far as time to spend, we are pretty flexible and are hoping for two weeks.

After doing some research, we thought about maybe taking a side trip to New Zealand (maybe Christchurch?). That is another place we've always wanted to see.

Right now, my biggest concern is the flight. I am hesitant to be on a plane for 14 hours, but I know it is a silly concern!

Anyway, thanks again. Sounds like everyone loves Australia and are very friendly :)

10. Re: How many days needed in your opinion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, October 18, 2009