We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need to know where to go!

Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
I need to know where to go!

Hi,

my family (2 adults and 3 children) are going to Sydney for 12 nights. I am going to be there between 7/1/05 and 19/01/05. I would like to know the following:

Where can I stay at Coogee Beach, The Blue mountains and Sydney CBD (family friendly)

The Attractions in each area

Day trips

Cheapest car hire

I've got to know within the next month or all accommodation will be gone. Thanks

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need to know where to go!

Hi we stayed at the Hotel Ibis, Darling Harbour, very reasonable rates, small rooms but fantastic views of the harbour, easy walking distance to lots of things & public transport.

This hotel is so poular it fills up quickly, its on most hotel websites. Have a great stay.

Sydney
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I need to know where to go!

Hi There

Coogee Beach is actually not to far from Sydney CBD. It is very easy to get to from the CBD. If you are after a beach, you might want to try the Central Cost. The Crowne Plaza Terrigal is beautiful and right near the beach. It is about 90min drive from the CBD. Otherwise there is the Crowne Plaza at Coogee Beach as well..

Depending on what sort of accom your look for in the CBD, They Quay West have great apartments with great views but it is quite expensive. The Grand Mercure Darling Harbour have spacious apartments and is very centrally located!

London
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I need to know where to go!

Cheapest car rental is www.bayswatercarrental.com.au. I have used them several times with no problems.

Sydney
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I need to know where to go!

Hi,

Have you looked up www.wotif.com.au you can only book 14days in advance on this site but it will give you an idea of hotels available. There's the medina executive apartments or crown plaza coogee beach a both in good spots. You would have more choice in you were in CBD but coogee over summer is great!

sydney
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I need to know where to go!

Hi,

There are two other sites that have discount accommodation in Sydney. They are:

www.lastminute.com.au

www.needitnow.com.au

In the Blue Mountains, I'd stick to Leura or Katoomba which are both quite near the attractions.

I'd give Coogee a skip - it's mainly full of british backpackers. Darling Harbour is a good place to stay for families and really handy for all of the city's attractions.

I'd go to Centerpoint Tower and Taronga Zoo - they're both pretty good for children.

Have a great time,

Sarah

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need to know where to go!

We are going to Sydney again this year and staying at the Hotel Ibis in Darling Harbour, I was glad to see that it was an OK place to stay. I was not much more expensive than the one we stayed at last year , and much closer to all the action.

We loved the Aquarium in Sydney, I think you might like Underwater World at Manly Beach, we went to the one in Mooloolaba and it was better than I thought it would be.

The first thing we did was go to Centrepoint and get our bearings from there, it made it a little easier.

Paddy Market is a great place to wander and get good deals on T shirts etc.

We also liked the Chinese Gardens, it was so peaceful in there. For most of the time we just walked around. One jewellry store has a small museum attached to it, I can't remember the name but it is advertised and it is free and very interesting, you have to go down some steps to it.

If you don't want to climb the bridge, go to the end tower and see the views from there, I believe that it was $8.00, even just walking across the bridge is very nice.

We were in the Blue Mountains but just to drive through for the day, we had Govett's Leap recommended and stopped there, of course, you have the see the Three Sisters. We drove over to Terrigal and stopped there to take pictures and then headed farther up the coast.

If I think of more will email, we are now getting ready to fly from England back to Canada.

Shirley

tjc
Newbury, Berkshire
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: I need to know where to go!

Also try OZSTAYS.com - still quite a bit available (we are going at the same time!) Taranna Zoo is excellant as is Centre point. The Manly Ferry is a great (and cheap) way to see the harbour - and there is a great beach at the end of it. I too would give Coogee a miss - Manly has some good places to stay - but for somewhere more central try darling harbour.

The children should also enjoy the PowerHouse <useum and Earth Exchange....

Trudi

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I need to know where to go!

May I recommend the MacLeay Hotel Apartments in Potts Point. We have returned from a holiday there this week and found it to be very reasonable. Ask for a 9th floor room - the views of the harbour, opera house and bridge are great. The staff were very friendly. There is a (small) pool. A taxi to the city centre will cost you around $8. You can walk to the opera house, through the Royal Botanic Gardens, in around half an hour. Potts Point is a leafy safe area, with lots of cafes and restaurants. The rooms at the MacLeay are clean and serviced daily. There is a small kitchen (microwave, sink) and a Woolworths supermarket across the road, open till midnight. The cafe opposite does a good breakfast. Have a great trip!

Queensland...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I need to know where to go!

Not too far a drive from the Blue mountains is Jenolan caves. This would come highly recommended for the family.

Montreal
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I need to know where to go!

Dont miss the Sydney Aquarium, the kids will love it, as will you.