We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetlag

Tel
Great Yarmouth U.K
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Jetlag

Has anyone got any tips on how to avoid or overcome jetlag. My direct flight will arrive at 06.20 in Sydney which means we will have the whole day ahead of us to try and stay awake. Terry

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Jetlag

Tel -I have nt been to Kew Gardens for a while so you should ask that question on the London forum. Its a huge forum and someone is bound to know as its a very popular attraction. I saw some fruit bats quite recently at Drusillas Zoo- London Zoo would have them too.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Jetlag

Tel, if you're talking about the RB Gardens in Sydney.....yes the trees a heaving with the fruit bats, you won't believe how many there are.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Jetlag

Sorry Tel thought we were talking UK then! Just ignore me......!

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Jetlag

Tel...go at sunset...watch them stir and take off for the night...be careful they don't poo on you...believed to carry lissa virus.

Also at sunset you will see raucous flocks of sulphur crested cockatoos and lorrikeets etc

take a picnic...set up towards mrs macquaries chair with a view of the opera house and bridge.Walk back around farm cove ,past the opera house to the quay to catch the ferry back to manly.

Tel
Great Yarmouth U.K
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Jetlag

Englishrose sorry I went from the UK back to Sydney without explaining very well. My fault.

Jacko. Nice to hear from you again ,where have you been? Do the Rosella parakeet still go to roost in the trees at Manly Beach.

Tel
Great Yarmouth U.K
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Jetlag

Has anyone tried The Lightbook Therapy for jet lag at www.lightbook.com

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Jetlag

Tel...I have been on a club cricket tour of England..13 fixtures based around Manchester,Nottingham and London. Good weather,fantastic hospitality. Won our share of matches and did not lose a boat race.

have been consumed by flu for a week or two.

My tip fpr jet lag....get 2-3 hours sleep fpr the two nights prior to leaving....drink 6 beers and a couple of wines and collapse 10 hours out of sydney.

BTW ...you will see lots of rainbow lorikeets around dusk in manly.

"7 miles form sydney and a thousand miles from care"!

Tel
Great Yarmouth U.K
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Jetlag

Jacko

I have senn the saying about Manly (7 miles from Sydney and a thousand miles from care ) plus others in many guide books. Is this saying still relevant today or is it a saying from long past before the tourists arrived

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Jetlag

Jacko

Sorry to hear you have flu.How did you enjoy your trip,did you visit Stony Stratford?I'm sure you must have sunk a few beers.

Get well soon.

MARGARET

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Jetlag

Margaret

yes we were at Stony....a glorious sunday afternoon..an ex captain of our club now plays there and they really turned it on for us....BBQ...pints at 1.60 GBP...ground announcer who was hilarious..it was a real gala day. The game was a tie...as usual we won the "boat race". The sort of day us anglo/aussie monculture people live for.

Tel

you might find manly car rentals convenient.

Interestingly enough this weekend is the 150th celebration of the building of the manly wharf and the start of the ferry service. An englishman developed the place as a local tourist destination (modelled on brighton would you believe) and made a fortune.

As for "7 miles...." of course it has been watered down and the hassles of life are just as real in manly as elswhere.But i still reckon that the ferry ride is a wonderful half hour across the most beautiful harbour to escape to another more relaxed time and place.