We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What 'Food' can I bring into OZ without having to declare...

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
What 'Food' can I bring into OZ without having to declare...

I would like to bring a few things in with me, tea bags (I like them good & strong) marmite, coffee substitute (chicory, swiss style). Also some vitamin pills.

Which items are acceptable? Which ones are unacceptable?

Thank you for any advice.

canberra Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
51. Re: What 'Food' can I bring into OZ without having to declare...

Hi kencar. Marmite is available in Australia at any Coles or Woolworths supermarket. ( Including safeway stores too) (Its wanted alot by the english and the kiwis) There are stronger teas available, but I'm not sure on the brands. There are plenty of varieties available. May be you could also just use two tea bags in the one cup? Soy milk is now very popular, and is also available in every supermarket. You may have to buy the on the shelf longlife version in some areas, but most large supermarkets also stock fresh soy milk. Twinings tea bags cost around $5-$7AU for 100 bags, and soy milk is around the $2AU per litre.

You MUST declare any food product that you bring with you.

Customs normally let through food packets that are processed products, and that have been unopened.

If your food products are un opened, and packed in your actual luggage, and is declared, then customs should let it through.

They may request you to open your luggage so they can check that the packets are sealed properly. As long as there is no seeds etc, you should be fine.

Make sure you also declare all your cash and medications. Have a great trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: What 'Food' can I bring into OZ without having to declare...

This is so funny- on the London forum there is an Aussie looking for vegemite!

perth
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
53. Re: What 'Food' can I bring into OZ without having to declare...

kencar i hope that you enjoy your time in OZ,do get around places and dont stay in the cities,cities are the same everywhere.If you are coming to Perth W A,go up to Kings Park and see the veiw of our lovely Swan river,Araleuen Botanical Gardens we have a few Parks that are diferent,because they have our Native animals in them,Yanchep Park is one.You could go to Augusta and see where the two Oceans meet.Margaret River for the surf riders,wine ,walk trails ,York for the first settlers in W.A dont expect to see fine old buildings because we a very young country.In each of the States you will see Fauna and Flora that is very different from the U.K. We do speak English but that is where the similarity ends.Again i sincerly hope you have a lovely time and take home great memories

gloriousomes2

Level Contributor
527 posts
1 review
Save Reply
54. Re: What 'Food' can I bring into OZ without having to declare...

I dont think that you have to declare ALL your cash. Only if you have AUD$10,000 or more or the equivalent in another currency in cash.

You are allowed to bring it in but they want to know in case you are money laundering or something. Again, fines for false declarations.

canberra Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
55. Re: What 'Food' can I bring into OZ without having to declare...

TY Kencar. I have heard about that club, and one day I hope to get there. You will love the seafood here, and most Aus food is fab. Make sure you try to visit the local pubs - the people in them are the true aussies, and the beer is ok too!. I recommend trying a Schooner of Carlton. have a safe trip, and make sure you get to see the local wildlife! all the best take care, purple_mooncat oxoxoxox (Samantha)

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: What 'Food' can I bring into OZ without having to declare...

Thanks purple mooncat, I didn't know the club still operated?

To all the posting/replies to my original question you might like to hear the follow up. I arrived in Sydney last Thursday & had ticked that I was bringing foodstuffs into OZ on the immigration form. I was sent to the red channel and two very jolly customs men asked me what I had to declare. I said just some English teabags and some marmite. They fished around in the bag and found the marmite....this they thought was really funny & they held the jar up showing all their mates and said "sorry only vegemite allowed in Australia, no marmite". They all rolled up, we did too. They were only kidding of course, so I got my marmite! A good start to our trip.

So teabags & marmite are fine to bring in. Carole.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: What 'Food' can I bring into OZ without having to declare...

Great story Carole!

Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
58. Re: What 'Food' can I bring into OZ without having to declare...

Hi Ken,

We do have shops that sell Marmite - where abouts are you travelling to as I know that Marmite is definately available in Melbourne ( I too as I am originally from South Africa don't like Vegemite as much as Marmite). I think so long as packets/containers are unopened and you declare all food products you should be able to bring them into the country.