We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Hotel Help!!

Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Need Hotel Help!!

We will be in Sydney In Dec. The more I research, the more confused I get. I need a hotel , preferably downtown/rocks/ circular quay area(I think). It does not have to have a view, or a lot of amenities, just a nice, clean , safe place for two nights.

We do not mind walking, so therefore; within walking distance of all of the major attractions or near transportation. Would like to spend $100- $150 USD. Am I limiting myself to the outskirts or further away from the harbor area with that price range?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Hotel Help!!

i am doing much the same thing......and found that the best place to stay for me....close to cruiise terminal, ferry terminal, public transport, good food..safe .. shopping... lots of walks..attractions...variety..... was going to cost me about 290 usd per night........

I found what Iwould save in room I would spend in transportation and time....... I picked the Marriott Harbor...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,194 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Hotel Help!!

I'll agree with Dan's comments.. you will lose about 20USD dollars in time per day if you move too far away from the rocks. You'll need to think of spending about 180USD to be near the Harbour.

Your other alternatives will be Y on the park (YWCA) which is in the CBD and about a 15-20 min walk to the water and maybe the Ibis at darling harbour. Also look at the various Youth hostels. Sydney YHA has a good reputation.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Hotel Help!!

It's a trade-off, really; you can either stay around the Rocks area in a chain hotel such as the Marriott or the Holiday Inn -- and pay a healthy premium for the privilege, since both these chains have other branches in Sydney which are considerably cheaper -- or you can sacrifice some of the amenities which these hotels rely on for their popularity.

But, yes, you CAN stay around the Rocks area for under $USD150! In fact, you can stay for under $AUD150 -- and even have a harbour view -- if you're prepared to forego, for instance, an ensuite, and accept instead a share-bath arrangement which other rooms on your floor.

The cheapest place in the Rocks area that I can think of, off-hand, is the Palisade, and it's the one with the view of the Harbour Bridge. Last time I checked, the rooms were $AUD118 a double. This is a hotel with quite a history, and, to be honest, it's no oil painting; a drinking pub downstairs with rooms above, it doesn't boast any of the Marriott's amenities such as sauna, gym, or even a reception desk (you get your keys from the lady at the bar), and you have to walk up a flight of stairs to your room (the Palisade was built when Mr Otis was still in grade school), but it's in a quiet area at the back of the Rocks (called Miller's Point) which hasn't changed much in sixty years (neither, it must be said, has the Palisade). Might be a good idea to look before you try, at their website: http://www.palisadehotel.com/

Right in the heart of the Rocks is another "pub", the Mercantile, which is just a bit more expensive and much noisier (as the bar downstairs is extremely popular... when you see its location, you'll understand why). It's Sydney's rowdy Irish pub, and I would imagine that half its patrons -- who comne for the Guinness and the ambience -- don't even know there are rooms upstairs.

Going a bit further up in price (but breakfast is included) is the Australian Hotel, just across the road from the entrance to the walkway across the Harbour Bridge (and near where you buy tickets for the Bridgeclimb). Once again, a bar downstairs and you share a bath, but a couple who stayed there on my recommendation late last year pointed out to me that they didn't really have to "share" a bath, anyway, as they were the only people on their floor at that particular time, since few people know of the existence of this place. You are unlikely, however, to find a whole vacant floor there in busy December! The Australian won some kind of award last year for heritage hotels; it's a bit classier than the previous two.

Not quite in the Rocks -- about two blocks away -- is a real little bargain called the Grand, in Hunter St. Right opposite the entrance to Wynyard Subway Station, this is another historic hotel which has been around for years. Even though there's a bar downstairs (with about five floors of rooms above), it at least boasts a special entrance for guests, and the whole building is quite a classy piece of work. Once again, it's been a while since I checked their prices, but, if memory serves, you could get a single there for $AUD80, going to $AUD90 for a double, and up to about $AUD120 for a family room. The website for this hotel is …citysearch.com.au/E/…1.html

Finally, one little gem that is, normally, above your price range.... but, occasionally, on www.wotif.com (the last-minute site), it lets its left-over rooms go for as little as $AUD95 (count on $AUD130 in December). This is absolutely the best-located hotel in Sydney, a 160-year-old gem called the Russell, on the corner of George and Globe Streets (if you have a map of Sydney, check this out and you will see what I mean about the location-- it is ONE MINUTE'S walk, maximum, from the ferry wharves and Circular Quay Station). Beautifully restored, but still quite original (no elevator or air-conditioning) it has a range of rooms, some of which have ensuites, even! If you book one of these rooms on their own site ( http://www.australia.travelmall.com/content/hotel_info/Russell+Hotel+The+Rocks--code--54796.html), you'll pay well over $AUD200; however, wotif can often beat that by 50%.

So, you see, you don't have to stay out in the boondocks to save money in Sydney; you just have to be prepared to put aside a couple of the niceties which we have become accustomed to enjoying since the big "chains" took over and started counting the stars in their hotels. I frankly don't know how many stars any of these hotels would rate.... but I do know that if I needed to stay in Sydney, these would be the places I'd be looking at first.

Good luck!

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Hotel Help!!

You might be pleasantly surprised at what you can get the sydney harbour marriott for on priceline. Check out biddingfortravel.

Sydney NSW Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Hotel Help!!

As People will know, I am a greta fan of B&B accomodation.There are many fine ones very close to The CBD.Some offer tours of Sydney and walking tours, pickups from trains and airports.

Check out Tripadvisor's B&B page. You just need to click on Sydney Hotels and then their B&B section. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,290 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Hotel Help!!

for a downtown hotel check out the castlereagh inn in the city. this is real downtown and the website looks great! i've walked past the entrance many times but did not realise how lovely the place was until i checked out the website.

http://www.castlereaghinn.com.au/

their own website lists a double room for A$160 with breakfast included. however, got to www.wotif.com and you can get a room for A$115/night with continental breakfast at $10 extra.

only downside with wotif is that rooms can only be booked 2 weeks ahead. this would be ok if you're here early december but as it gets closer to xmas, the holiday season starts and it might be harder to get good deals on wotif.

happy planning.

june

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Hotel Help!!

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Old Syney for approx 160AUS$ per night for a twin room, in September.

We booked it with Airline Network online. Expedia are showing some good deals as are the official Holiday Inn website.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
151 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Hotel Help!!

I am a regular visitor to Sydney and have stayed in all of the main areas. I would actually suggest you be more central and stay at something like the Grace Hotel which is non generic and has beautiful art deco fittings. This would be within your price bracket, they sometimes include breakfast on Fri, Sat and Sunday nights at certain times of the year.

I stayed at the Haroubourside Marriott. Its nice but I prefer the Grace.

Another option is the Rydges on Jamieson. This could be within your price too. It was opened as Le Meridien prior to the Olympics. Very stylish and well located.