We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney Trip Report

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sydney Trip Report

My partner and I have just returned from a 7 day stay at the B & B Sydney Harbour which is a great place to stay for it's location close to the ferries/buses/sights, and they do a great breakfast. We went to the information centre at the Rocks Centre (corner of Argyle & Playfair St) for all our free maps/tour info etc, then onto the ferry terminal to purchase an orange travel pass $40 pp for a 7 day unlimited use of all ferries/buses in red and green zones 1 & 2 (except Manly jetcat), this saved us a lot of money.

Recommended:- Darling Harbour, Aquarium, Wildlife Centre, Maritime Museum, Chinese Garden of Friendship,Fish Market.

Rocks market (Sat/Sun)-some original art & craft, but other things are cheaper elsewhere.

Manly by Ferry - a must, better than Bondi, (Sunday has a street market)

Bridge Pylon Lookout & Museum $9.50 - very informative and great views for photos.

Opera House tour - 1 hour - what a fantastic building, the main theatre has a WOW factor.

Botanic Gardens and Mrs McQuarries chair

CBD, Hyde park Barracks - cafe does great food.

QVB - what a fantastic building

Centre Point Tower & Oztrek - views are stunning.

Bondi beach - bus 380 from stand E at Circular Quay, passes through Darlinghurst and Paddington on the way.

Oz Jet Boat - best to do at the end of the day as you get soaked, but what a laugh!

Tours r Us to Blue Mountains (booked at information centre)$93 pp with lunch - my favourite place. Vince the tour guide was very friendly, funny and gave us lots of info along the way. This included Featherdale Wildlife Park, which I loved as you could walk amongst the baby kangaroos/wallabies and emus, and the Olympic Stadium.

Taronga Zoo - get the cable car to the top and make your way back to bottom for ferry - great views from top for photos, and bird show was really good.

Eating:_The Observer Hotel - great cheap food. The Lowenbrau - good food and oompha band,Food courts, Pancakes on the Rocks,Hyde Park Cafe, Golden Century is good but not worth the wait for a table.

Overall we loved Sydney as it so easy to get around and everywhere is well signposted, clean and friendly and the Aussies are so friendly and helpful.

Would we go back? - YES YES YES!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney Trip Report

thank you for taking the time to do this report...and what a nice detailed report it is!

hope you had good weather when you were here in sydney.

see you soon?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney Trip Report

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for posting a great Trip Report.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,011 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney Trip Report

Fantastic trip report - you certainly squeezed a lot in!

Can you tell me how much the Opera House Tour was? I am keen to try that next trip.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney Trip Report

Great trip report and really informative. Hope everybody looking to visit Sydney reads it.

Interrested in the Orange travel pass. that is helpful to know about. Did you plan where you wanted to go before you arrived, or did the info centre point you in the best direction?

You really enjoyed yourselves. Well done.

UK
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney Trip Report

Apart from one day of wind and rain the rest of the holiday was sunny but cold, but we were told they have had a really cold winter this year.

The opera tour was $35 pp daily 9am-5pm and worth every penny, but if you go into whatsoninsydney.com they have printable money off vouchers for all the main attractions in Sydney, 20% off on Opera tour. We used them for all the attractions, print for each person going.

Also don't bother with the boat cruises (unless it's your thing and expensive) as you can see Opera House, Bridge etc from the ferries to Darling Harbour, Taronga Zoo and Manly, you meet the locals who are more than willing to point out suburbs and give you advice/tips, and you are not over run with tourists all trying to take photos.Great scenic photo opportunities from Taronga Zoo, Mrs Mcquaries Chair, Bridge Pylon Lookout, Oz Tower.

If I can be of any further help to anyone post me your questions and I will try to help you. I did a lot of research before I went, especially from Tripadvisor, and had an Itinary planned for each day and boy did we do a lot of walking, we have travelled quite a bit but this was a fantastic place that we loved every moment of.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney Trip Report

Wow, what a great trip report and I'm so glad you got the max out of Sydney. Your quick and informative report will be helpful to many newcomers.

Did you manage to find a new handbag ???

EM.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney Trip Report

Wow, you really got to experience Sydney. I'm so pleased you loved it.

..I'm with you on the wait for table front - I love my food but there's no such thing as a restaurant worth queueing for a table IMHO... fortunately we've never had to do that at Golden Century.. I guess we must have picked quiet times or booked or something, probably the latter as we're usually there in a fairly decent sized group.

UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney Trip Report

great report, some very good ideas, thanks.

I love the idea of the Lowenbrau and the Observer, can you remeber whereabouts they are?

Jane

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney Trip Report

Terrific report thank you. Lots of practical tips that will be useful for others.

UK
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney Trip Report

Hi

Ellemay - Unfortunately I didn't buy any handbags as I was already over the weight limit on luggage, but I'm sure I will make up for it!

Janeybobs - The Lowenbrau is on the corner of Argle and Playfair St, The Rocks

The Observer is 69 George St, The Rocks x