We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bondi beach or manly beach

kk1
seattle
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
bondi beach or manly beach

If u can only choose one, which one will u go? thanks

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bondi beach or manly beach

tourists for some reason love bondi beach. it has an iconic status that has prevailed despite the area being dowdy and run down. the only saving grace is the coastal walk. u can get there by bus or train and bus.

manly, imo, is much more attractive.

u get to have a nice ferry ride, the beach is great, fairy bower is a nice walk and there are plenty of shops and restaurants. also look at getting the bus up to north head from there. great views!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,448 posts
1,576 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bondi beach or manly beach

Well i guess most Sydneysider TA members will know what i will say........

Manly Beach - click on the thread below for additional information regarding this lovely seaside suburb.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-d257487/Sydne…

The Manly V Bondi has been debated over the years on the Sydney Forum..and its usually a very healthy debate regarding what beach Sydneysiders and other visitors prefer...

.. IMHO Manly wins hands down ..

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bondi beach or manly beach

yes, from my observation of the discussions over the years locals most frequently prefer Manly, some visitors seem to prefer the "vibe" of Bondi... personally I can't imagine why but there you go. To each their own.

Essex,England
Level Contributor
45 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bondi beach or manly beach

I've visited both in the last month while in Sydney, and I'd go with Manly. Manly is a place I happily return to on each trip to Sydney, somehow its hard to believe you are so close to the City when you're there.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bondi beach or manly beach

I live in Bondi and love it. I would normally say check both out but if you can indeed only do one I have to agree with the others and say go for Manly. Not only is it a lovely beach but the ferry trip across the harbour to get to it is very pleasant.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,397 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bondi beach or manly beach

No question, unless sculptures by the sea is on...

my preference is Manly...

Ferry trip, I think from memory you are short on time

(oh and for reference the poster is is suggesting those 2 booking sites appears to be an agent or employee..if you're not sure dont go do....and no balloons!)

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bondi beach or manly beach

You hardly need a seventh opinion, but I would like to make it unanimous. Manly, easy.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bondi beach or manly beach

im going to be controversial and say bondi is the better beach by far... if you are interested in the actual beach (water quality, goodness of waves, beauty of bay etc...) there is really no competition - manly has a giant stormwater drain down the middle! and is often really flat, while bondi has beautiful blue water and great waves

however, i would say go to manly if its for a day out... bondi is a huge hole where the only thing you can buy is overpriced crap - manly has a better atmosphere, better cafes, and better streetscape - and there is the fantastic ferry ride

San Diego
Level Contributor
127 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bondi beach or manly beach

Just returned from AU Sunday and went to both Manly and Bondi. If you are going to swim etc. Bondi was the better beach. Waves were great, beach is lovely. Overall Manly has more "genteel ambiance" like the previous post said. Though I enjoyed the coastal walk through to Bronte better than the walk in Manly. I live in a bohemian part of San Diego and so Bondi felt more like home.Not ot mention it looked so good when I was finishing the City2Surf race on a nice sunny day. PS I thought the ferry to Watson Bay was better than to Manly... But honestly you can't go wrong. The travel time to Bondi was not as nice thats for sure... bus, train etc. Go to Manly. Get a photo CD of Bondi... and fake it.

UK3
UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: bondi beach or manly beach

As a visitor and not an expert, we were dissapointed with Bondi and felt it looked run down and scruffy. Manly however was a place we returned to quite often and had great walks and we felt a much more buzzy atmosphere. Although it felt British 50'ish, there's good places to eat and the ferry rather than bus from CBD gives it the extra edge.